How do I do an affidavit for my husband to adopt my daughter? 9 Answers as of May 02, 2014

My husband want to adopt my daughter. We live together since she was born. He is not the biological father.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Fran Brochstein
Fran Brochstein | Fran Brochstein
In Texas, an affidavit is not enough. You need to go to court and file for a step-parent adoption. I believe that you need an attorney to help you since this is a complex legal matter.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 5/2/2014
Law Office of Andrellos Mitchell
Law Office of Andrellos Mitchell | Andrellos Mitchell
Adopting your daughter will require more than an affidavit.
Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
Replied: 5/2/2014
Home Town Law, P.A.
Home Town Law, P.A. | Sabina Tomshinsky
Generally, your husband will be able to adopt your daughter through a stepparent adoption proceeding. However, unless the biological father provides consent, you would first have to pursue an action to terminate the biological father's parental rights prior to proceeding with the stepparent adoption. It would be prudent for you to consult with a family law attorney on this to ensure that it is done right. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/1/2014
Family Law & Mediation Services, LLC | Carol Jean Romine
You cannot accomplish an adoption with an affidavit. Please check out the step-parent adoption statute by "googling" the term "step parent adoptions in Indiana."
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 5/1/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
You have to go to court and ask for the bio-father's rights to be terminated. It isn't easy and you will probably need the help of an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 5/1/2014
    Darrell B. Reynolds, P.C. | Darrell B. Reynolds
    You need to go and sit down with an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 5/1/2014
    Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane | Lauren H. Kane
    You need to file a petition not an affidavit and there are various papers and background checks that need to be completed. i suggest that you contact an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
    Replied: 5/1/2014
    John Russo | John Russo
    You don't do an affidavit, YOU need to file a petition to terminate the fathers rights based on the statutory requirements for abandonment in your jurisdiction, and YOUR husband needs to file a separate petition for adoption , with that said no one will tell you how to do something we can tell you what to do up to a point and it is up to you how to figure out how to handled it. We cannot give legal advice, only direction.
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 5/1/2014
    C Page Hamrick Attorney at Law | C Page Hamrick
    FOR WEST VIRGINIA ONLY: A Consent to Adopt must be filled out; it is not a "form" but must be prepared exactly in accordance with the West Virginia statute requirements. Adoption is a complicated matter to accomplish and must be done to exacting standards. You really need to see an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: West Virginia
    Replied: 5/1/2014
Click to View More Answers: