How do I divorce my spouse if I have recently moved to another state? 6 Answers as of September 15, 2015

Moved to another state and spouse lives in another. We have not lived together in about 4 years and I want a divorce. We have no children or property division. I did however purchase a truck from her mother and still owe about 3000.00 on it. I have made all payments but have fallen behind due to unemployment. The vehicle is titled in my name only and I am the sole owner. My spouse is threatening me that she is going to take my vehicle that she is entitled to it. The promissory note that I have is between her mother and me. This is my only source of transportation and like I stated we were not together when I chose to purchase the truck. Does she have any rights to my truck and how do I go about this and protect myself? Also when she left 4 years ago she took my personal property and family heirlooms (my grandmother’s dishes) that are now passed and I would like some type of compensation for those things, even though some of the property cant is replaced. Also in numerous occasions has used my name for to get her electric turned on and also some credit card bills that have ruined my credit. Please advise me on how to go about this.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
The laws governing divorce vary somewhat from state to state. Many states require that a petitioner for divorce (or the respondent) have lived in the state for at least six months, and in the county where they file for at least 30 days. So one option is to file the petition in the state where she lives, if that is permitted by the laws of that state. Or you can wait until you have resided in your present state for the statutory period. Your best bet is to retain a lawyer well-versed in family law. He or she can save you a lot of grief, and it's almost always worth the investment. As to the loan on the truck, the key question is whether your mother-in-law took a security interest in the vehicle. If she did, then she has the right, if she goes through the proper hoops, to foreclose and repossess it. If she does not have a security interest, then all she has is a claim against you for the balance of the money, plus any late fees or interest provided for in the note you probably signed.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 9/15/2015
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
In Nevada, you must live in the state for six weeks prior to filing the divorce for the Court to have jurisdiction over it. If you live in another state, you will probably have to find out the residency requirements for that State, as each State is different and some can have substantially lengthy residency requirements.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 9/15/2015
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
I'm assuming that your question involves living in the state other than California. If this is so, you need to consult with an attorney and that jurisdiction concerning your question.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/14/2015
Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
Every state has residency requirements to permit it to grant a divorce to the party residing there; however, if the real issue is wrapping up the lose ends between the two of you, you need a state that has jurisdiction of your spouse and meets the residency requirements of that state. To even start to understand whether the state you are in is appropriate, or not, I need much more information which I obtain by conducting a consultation; where we meet, go over the facts; based upon which I can properly advise you. NY may have jurisdiction; or it may not; there may be problems with the state your spouse is currently residing; I would more information before I can advise. I charge a consultation fee of $100; if I am retained at the time of the consultation, the consultation fee is included in the retainer.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 9/14/2015
David A. Browde, P.C.
David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
You file and have her served.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 9/14/2015
Click to View More Answers: