How do I divorce if the marriage took place in Bulgaria and was fraudulent on her part by her admission? 4 Answers as of July 05, 2016

I married a Bulgarian lady in 2001 and have not seen her since 2007. I was, as a result of Government DOD work, not able to visit for more than thirty days a year. We have a thirteen year old whom I support. The decision to leave the marriage was a result of her seeking an "open marriage" and admitting to having only married for a Green Card. The marriage was in Bulgaria and I could not respond as I did not speak the language. As she and I have not communicated for over ten years, except by occasional email, and as she has admitted to her affairs from the earliest days, I am seeking a divorce for which she refuses.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Ronald L. Bornstein, P.A. | Ronald L. Bornstein
If she has never lived with you in Florida and has no ties to Florida, you can file for a divorce in Florida, but Florida only has jurisdiction to dissolve the bonds of marriage, and no jurisdiction to address custody, time sharing and support of your 13 year old, or any other issue. You would still have to serve her with the divorce petition in Bulgaria. If there is some type of order in place pursuant to which you pay support for your 13 year old, you should get it translated so you know what it says, as it may impact your rights in other respects as well. Consult with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your situation and your options.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/5/2016
Carey and Leisure | John Smitten
You can file the case in FL then go from there. Use of a lawyer is recommended.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/30/2016
R. Jason de Groot, P.A
R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
You already know what the best thing to do is, have a full discussion with a local family attorney. It can be done, but you certainly need to get an attorney for this, in my opinion.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/29/2016
Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
Talk to a local attorney about Service of Process by Publication. Caution: this is a complicated system and must be followed exactly. DO NOT attempt to do this by yourself. If she can be found you might have to have her served suit papers in Bulgaria pursuant to international convention. You can be divorced but it may take a while.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/29/2016
Click to View More Answers: