How do I divorce an inmate? 9 Answers as of March 12, 2014

I want to divorce my husband who is incarcerated for a parole violation. He will be in for 2 years. We have 2 children who he has threatened to fight me for custody of. Can I get a divorce with full custody because of his criminal background?

Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
Custody is not at issue in WA. If you file the divorce, and I suggest you do it now, part of the process involves establishing a parenting plan. Given that he is incarcerated and therefore will not see the children much if at all for the duration of the incarceration, I suggest you get a parenting plan that is graduated and starts with supervised visitation (a few hours) when he gets out.
Generally, you may most certainly divorce him regardless of the fact he is currently incarcerated. Because he is incarcerated he has no potential of having custody of the children at least at this time. Get an attorney and do it right.
Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane | Lauren H. Kane
File for divorce and serve him in jail.
Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
File your papers and have him served
The same way you divorce anybody; you file a complaint and have him served in prison.
    Barr, Jones & Associates LLP
    Barr, Jones & Associates LLP | Andrew Brasse
    Yes, you can. You will need to serve him at the prison. The court would then go forward with the divorce.
    David A. Browde, P.C.
    David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
    The divorce process is the same for an inmate as for anyone else. Custody determinations are made on the basis of the best interest of the children - and the specifics of the case matter.
    Petit & Dommershausen SC
    Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
    File for divorce, serve him in prison, ask for sole custody and placement. The burden will then be on him when he gets out to try and modify the order.
    First of all I would suggest that you do some extensive research on custody and placement, there are very good sites on the internet for this type of thing, I see and here this term full custody thrown around and am afraid people have a misconception of what it means. Also, you divorce an inmate the same way for the most part that you divorce an out-mate, you just need to make sure that the court issues a habeas for him each time you have a hearing date, unless he is in federal lockup then that becomes a pain you will need to petition the feds for video hearings.