How do I disestablish paternity and relinquish further child support payments? 2 Answers as of April 25, 2016

I'm paying child support for a child who is not mine. However, I did to sign the birth certificate just to later find out that I am not the father.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
It depends upon the age of the child and any relationship that you might have with the child. You have to immediately file to vacate the acknowledgment of paternity and cease all contact with the child. How old is the child? Does he/she identify you as his/her father? NY has a legal approach known as equitable estoppel which takes this into account whenever one seeks to assert or disestablish paternity. To get a more definite answer, you should consult with counsel familiar with the concept and provide all the facts for a more specific answer.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/25/2016
David A. Browde, P.C.
David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
You probably don't. But if there are really unusual circumstances it might be worth discussing with a local attorney.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/25/2016
Click to View More Answers: