How do I deal with my Car accident settlement and repayment of Medicare? 1 Answers as of March 24, 2011

I recently came to a settlement in a personal injury case (no-fault car accident). My Medicare benefits paid 2 out of my 3 medical bills related to the claim. I know that I have to pay the 3rd bill in full but I don't know what needs to be paid out of the settlement with regards to the other 2 bills. Do I repay Medicare for the amount that they paid to the doctors (80% of their approved amount) or do I have to notify Medicare and pay the doctors bills in full (what would have been due without Medicare minus the 20% Medicare approved amount I already paid)? There are no Medicare liens (as far as I know and I think I would know if there were). I just don't want to jeopardize my future benefits by handling this wrong.

Wilson & Hajek, LLC
Wilson & Hajek, LLC | Eddie W. Wilson
You need to find out if there are any liens against your settlement. If you have a lawyer he is the one to make the determinations of who should get paid and what amount. If the doctor accepted the medicare amount that is usually all that is needed to be paid, but, I can't fully answer without seeing all paperwork and making phone calls. If you settled without a lawyer to handle these matters you will probably have to pay a lawyer for their work to handle the matter.