How do I deal with a fare evasion summons? 2 Answers as of April 01, 2015

So last night I got a summons for hoping the turnstile in a train. It's a pink slip and I have to appear to a criminal court. I plan on pleading guilty so I don't need an attorney. I am almost positive this is an A Misdemeanor. It is my first offense and summons. What are the odds that it gets lowered to a petty misdemeanor so it doesn't go on my record? If it doesn't however, how will I be able to get it off my record. I am aware of expungement but a little confused on how that all works. I'm 17 years old with a clean record. I wasn't arrested when I was caught. I plan on appearing on my court date and definitely paying the fine. Hopefully the judge is remorseful and will lower it to a petty misdemeanor or just drop it all together and just issue the fine.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Barton Barton & Plotkin
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
You must get an attorney.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/1/2015
Rothstein Law PLLC
Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
Do not plead guilty! You are charged with a Class A misdemeanor so pleading guilty will give you a criminal record for life unless you waste your Youthful Offender, which is a silly thing to do on a pink summons case. There are ways to get this case dismissed and in all but 1 court you do not have to go to court yourself if you hire a lawyer. I handle these all the time so feel free to contact me If you wish to hire a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/31/2015
Click to View More Answers: