How do I contest my daughter's name change? 5 Answers as of June 08, 2011

My ex sent me papers in the mail notifying me of a name change for my daughter. Am I served even though i did not sign for them? Also how do i contest it?

Law Office of John C. Volz
Law Office of John C. Volz | John C. Volz
Yes, you have been served with the papers, however you should check to see if there are requirements in that court for personal service as opposed to mail. You should appear at the hearing or file documentation showing that you do not consent to the name change.
You are definitely served (as long as certain requirements are met and the child's father did not serve you). Read the documents you were served. You were supposed to have been given a blank form to object. You must file your objection within the time period specified. Do not delay. Contact the Court or Clerk's Office for further information. Your local court may have a Court Facilitator who will give you a free consultation and possibly assist you with the forms.
Komanapalli Massey LLP
Komanapalli Massey LLP | Mark A. Massey, Esq.
You have provided far too little information regarding the circumstances surrounding the name change for me to give you a reliable answer. However, he would not be permitted to change your daughter's name under normal circumstances without your knowledge and consent, or court order after you had been given a notice and an opportunity to appear and contest the change. Contact the court where the petition to change her name was filed.
You don't need to sign to get served. If you want to contest your daughter's name change, you can file and serve a Declaration opposing the name change setting forth your reasons for your opposition, and show up at the scheduled hearing to testify. However, you should consider the alienation that might occur to your relationship with your daughter if you oppose something she wants to do for herself, before you decide whether or not to contest her name change.
Yes, you must be served with the paperwork and you file a response in opposition and show up for the hearing.