How do I combat a bill that went to a collection agency when I should never have been billed in the first place? 1 Answers as of October 20, 2010

My doctors office ordered blood tests for me against my express wishes, and I am being billed by the lab company that did the tests. I have repeatedly spoken to the doctors office and the lab company about how the bill was a mistake, but neither will do anything to fix it. I am afraid the bill will go to a collection agency, but I'm not sure what to do about it since I am being billed by a third party. What can I do to protect myself? How can I get the doctors office to deal with their mistake?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Marc K. Herbert
Law Office of Marc K. Herbert | Marc K. Herbert
If the blood tests were provided, the lab must be paid for their services. If you have health insurance, that company should pay for the blood tests. If not, you are responsible for paying for these services.

How did your doctor get your blood sample without your permission? Was there an entry in your file that states that you did not want the tests? I would talk with the doctor directly and ask him/her to cancel the billing.

Or, I would talk to the lab about making payments on the bill. Depending on the amount owed, the collection may take no action beyond sending you mean-spirited letters. If a case is filed against you in Court, however, you should consult an attorney immediately.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/20/2010
Click to View More Answers: