How do I collect compensation in California for a slip and fall accident? 5 Answers as of February 24, 2011

I suffered a slip and fall accident at a major store. I sprained my ankle, and it is still sore and I cannot put any pressure on it. I have not been able to work because of it. Is the store liable to compensate me for lost wages, plus something for the pain and suffering I am going through? I wrote a letter, but the store didn’t respond. Now what?

Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law | Diana K. Zilko
If you would like to present a claim, you can call or visit the store and ask the manager for their insurance information. They need to provide it to you. Also, did you file an incident report? If not, you need to.
Hire an attorney to sue for you.
The store will probably never respond. You should contact a personal injury attorney. You need to address questions of possible liability. Store has to have notice of the hazard which caused the event to occur. If some person in front of you just spilled some water and you stepped in it and fell, there's arguably no notice. There is also the question of whether or not the hazard that caused you to fall was obvious.
Law Offices of Michael Stephenson
Law Offices of Michael Stephenson | Michael Stephenson
The correct procedure would be for you to get an attorney who can write to the store on your behalf. Sometimes all it takes to get some compensation is a letter from an attorney. If that doesn't get a response, your attorney can file a complaint for negligence against the store. Feel free to contact me for more information or to help you find an attorney.