How do I close a bank account in one state when I live in another state? 10 Answers as of February 15, 2016

How do I close a bank account in Virginia when I live in Pa? The account belongs to a relative that passed away suddenly.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C.
O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C. | Sean P. O'Keefe
In Maryland, unless you are authorized to manage (close) the account, all you may be able to do is notify the bank of the account owner's death until a personal representative is appointed and will have the authority to manage/close the account. A personal representative can work with the out of state bank via phone and mail because the bank will most likely require documentation such as the death certificate and letter of administration appointing the personal representative before the bank can act on or close the account.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 2/15/2016
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
Most states have laws for transfer of small estates. The bank can tell you what their requirements are, or you can talk to a lawyer in the state where the bank is located.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/2/2016
Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C.
Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C. | Richard M. Levy
You can't. The executor/administrator of the estate has to do it.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/1/2016
Goldsmith & Guymon
Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
Your question is posted in Nevada. Contact the Bank branch where the account is held and ask what is required. You may only need an affidavit and death certificate, or it is possible that you may need to retain counsel in that state to open a Probate. Start with the Bank. Best of luck to you. This is opinion is solely based upon the facts presented in the inquiry. Additional facts may be important and may change the analysis. If you are uncertain, seek legal counsel.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 2/1/2016
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
You need to contact the Bank, but unless you are named on the account as a co-depositor, they will probably require proof that you have been named by the probate court to be the administrator of the estate.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/1/2016
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
    This should be done by the personal representative appointed by the court. If there will be no probate, then there will be beneficiaries named on the account, who can claim it.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 2/1/2016
    Sebby Law Office
    Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
    Only the executor/personal representative of the estate has that power and authority. Also, anyone whose name was on the account could close it.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 2/1/2016
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
    Only a court appointed representative can act on behalf of the decedent to close the decedent's bank account. An estate would have to be opened. In some states there is a procedure to allow estates that have limited assets to take action by use of a small estate affidavit or similar. You would have to contact an attorney that practices in Virginia to find out the process that applies to the estate of your relative.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 2/1/2016
    Attorney At Law | James G. Maguire
    Call the bank. Explain the situation and ask them what needs to be done. It will depend on the type of account, and Virginia law.
    Answer Applies to: Louisiana
    Replied: 2/1/2016
    Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
    You have to comply with the probate procedure of the state where the relative lived. Depending on the size of the estate, that means either opening a Virginia estate or doing the small estate procedure in Virginia.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 2/1/2016
Click to View More Answers: