How do I change my minor child's surname? 1 Answers as of January 22, 2015

My son is 6 years old and has my last name. I would like it changed to my boyfriend's last name. He has been my child's "father" since birth. The biological father is not in his life and never has been. He has never paid child support and is not listed on the birth certificate. Can I do this without his permission? Paternity has never been established. My boyfriend and I now have a child together and would like for both children to have the same last name. My son has no knowledge of his biological father and believes my boyfriend to be his father. It is his biological father's choice to not be involved in his life. Please help.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Anthony Wing, P.C.
Michael Anthony Wing, P.C. | Michael Anthony Wing
I think the safest route is to give the natural father notice of the motion to change the name of the minor.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 1/22/2015
Click to View More Answers: