How do I change a minors last name? 23 Answers as of August 05, 2011

My daughter is 15 yrs old and I want to change her last name. There is not a father listed on her birth certificate. My husband is willing to give her his last name, we have been married since 1997. He has been the father figure to her since she has been a baby.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Beresford Booth PLLC
Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
Go to the District Court where you live.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/5/2011
Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler
Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler | Robert L Fiedler
Sounds like you are looking to have your husband adopt. You should go through the adoption process and terminate the father's rights first and then change the name.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 7/18/2011
Law Office of James Lentz
Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
nThe process for changing a name starts with a petition to the probate court in your county. You will almost certainly require the services of a local attorney to complete the process.Good luck to you and your daughter.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 7/16/2011
Goolsby Law Office
Goolsby Law Office | Richard Goolsby
We are family law attorneys who handle step parent adoptions in the Augusta, Georgia area. We recommend you retain a family law attorney in your area to discuss a step parent adoption, as opposed to a simple name change, but you can discuss all your rights and options, too. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 7/15/2011
Warner Center Law Offices of Donald F. Conviser
Warner Center Law Offices of Donald F. Conviser | Donald F. Conviser
You would need to file an Action for a Name Change, which requires that you provide notice to each and every interested person, including your daughter's biological father, so that those interested people can attend the hearing and contest the action if they so desire. A better thing to do, if your husband wishes to do it,would befor your husband to adopt your daughter. If your daughter's biological father hasn't communicated with her or provided any support for her for over a year, the biological father's parental rights can be terminated in an adoption by your husband if the biological father refuses to sign a consent to the adoption. The biological father would need to be given notice of the adoption proceedings, and the Social Worker would give the biological father the option of signing or refusing to sign his consent to the adoption.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/15/2011
    Pontrello Law
    Pontrello Law | William Pontrello
    File a court action serve papers on he biological father.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 7/15/2011
    Dunnings Law Firm
    Dunnings Law Firm | Steven Dunnings
    Does your husband want to adopt your daughter? This e-mail is covered under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC 2510-2521, and is legally privileged. The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 7/15/2011
    Law Office of Roianne H. Conner
    Law Office of Roianne H. Conner | Roianne Houlton Conner
    This can be accomplished with a Petition to the Probate Court in the County in which you reside. However, the daughter must give her permission.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 7/15/2011
    Donaldson Stewart, PC
    Donaldson Stewart, PC | Monica H. Donaldson Stewart
    The process of the name change involves an application to the court, consent of your daughter and your husband, some type of "notice" (or effort to provide "notice") to the other biological parent, and then a brief hearing to make it all happen. You might also want to consider having your husband adopt your daughter. This would usually include a change of name (and new birth certificate). You might have to take some steps to terminate the legal rights of the biological father (this depends on the circumstances) or obtain his consent if you are able to identify/locate him; however, a stepparent adoption itself is usually pretty straightforward. Either way, I recommend you speak with an attorney to discuss your options and determine your best course of action.
    Answer Applies to: Arizona
    Replied: 7/15/2011
    Ashman Law Office
    Ashman Law Office | Glen Edward Ashman
    It is done by an action in Superior Court. You must attempt to notify the unnamed father. A lawyer will know how to do this.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 7/15/2011
    Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law
    Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law | Edwin Fahlen
    The name of a child may be changed for a valid reason. The "valid" test is simple to accomplish in most cases. As long as there are no close family objections it is a matter of procedure.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 7/15/2011
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    If the biological father hasn't paid child support or maintained a relationship with the child, you can file a petition to change the child's name. You don't need the bio father's permission, but he will have to be served with the documents. If you don't know where he is living, you can file an affidavit explaining all of the methods by which you attempted to locate the father, and pursue service by publication.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 7/15/2011
    John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law
    John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law | John Kirchner
    There are three possibilities in Colorado: through a separate name change procedure in County Court or through an adoption or parental rights case in District Court. The fact that no father is listed on the birth certificate does not eliminate the need to attempt to identify the father and provide him notice of the proceedings, particularly for an adoption. A step parent adoption, if you and your husband want to do something more than simply change your daughter's name, may be the simplest and best way to proceed. You should, however, consult an attorney to discuss all the options in the context of all the relevant information.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 7/15/2011
    Neville J. Bedford Attorney at Law
    Neville J. Bedford Attorney at Law | Neville J. Bedford
    Enlist a Family court attorney to help you file a petition in the Family Court. It is a relatively simple matter. While you are speaking to an attorney, you may want to discuss the possibility of adoption. There are legal implications you should carefully consider.
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 7/15/2011
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
    He would need to adopt her in order to change her last name. If the biological father will give consent or cannot be located, it is possible to file a step parent adoption.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 7/15/2011
    Beaulier Law Office
    Beaulier Law Office | Maury Beaulier
    If there is no adjudicated father, a name change can be simply effected by filing a name change request form with a proper filing fee.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota
    Replied: 7/15/2011
    The Coyle Law Office
    The Coyle Law Office | T. Andrew Coyle
    You would file a Petition for Name Change of a Minor at your county courthouse. The clerk there should be able to provide you with the forms.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 7/15/2011
    Horizons Law Group, LLC
    Horizons Law Group, LLC | Michelle B. Fitzgerald
    If there has never been a paternity action with anyone named as her biological father, then you have sole legal custody. With sole custody, you are able to file a name-change petition for that. There are documents to fill out and publishing and a court hearing.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 7/15/2011
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC | Vincent J. Bernabei
    To legally change her name, you must file a name change petition with the court in the county in which she resides. The court will allow you to post notice at the courthouse and if nobody objects within 30 days, the court will enter a judgment changing her name. You will then need to provide a certified copy of that judgment to the Social Security Administration and DMV (if she already has a permit). You should also consider a step-parent adoption so that your daughter will be treated for all legal purposes as your husband's child. For example, if he dies, she will not receive Social security survivor benefits unless she is adopted.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 7/15/2011
    Fox Law Firm LLC
    Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
    Yes, we can petition the court for a name change.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 7/15/2011
    Cody and Gonillo, LLP
    Cody and Gonillo, LLP | Christine Gonilla
    Apply in your local probate court.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 7/15/2011
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney