How do I bring my new wife to the US from Canada? 3 Answers as of July 01, 2011

I am a permanent resident of the USA. I just got married to my girlfriend who is a permanent resident of Canada. Is it possible for me to bring her here to the US? If I can, how long does it take? How should I start a step to get her legal status in USA? I would be grateful if you could help me.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
As an LPR if you petition for your wife to come to the U.S. the process will take at least 3 years. It would be expeditious to become first an U.S. citizen and then your wife would be deemed to be an immediate relative and the process would instead take months.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/1/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Yes you can with a little bit of patience. You want to file form I-130 ( ) and wait for it to be approved. USCIS will then send it to the National Visa Center and the NVC will contact you when it's time to start processing the visa. In the meantime you can check the visa bulletin and see how quickly or slowly they are processing your visa. Your category is going to be F2A. If you were a USC, then she would have been able to adjust status within the US once here. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/1/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
You are allowed to file the first step of the process now. That is an I-130 petition. It will take several years before she can apply for a green card based on that application. In the meantime she may want to look into an employment or school visa that will allow her to legally live in the US for the interim. My website has articles on the green card process and visas!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/30/2011
Click to View More Answers: