How do I bring my fiance to the US? 8 Answers as of December 15, 2010

I am a US citizen, and I met my fiance while I was working abroad. We want to move to the US and get married there. What do I have to do to bring him to the US before we are officially married?

You can bring your fiancee into the USA through filing a K-1 Fiancee Visa petition and application. You would file an I-129F Petition for Relative or Fiancee, which should be granted within about 2-4 months, in which you identify the petition as directed for your fiancee. It is not decided (adjudicated) in the U.S., the CIS will forward the petition and supporting documents to the U.S. embassy or consulate nearest your fiancee's home. He will go to the consulate, be interviewed at the time he is notified to come, and we assume, will be granted permission and an entry visa to come into the U.S. You then must marry within 90 days, after which your husband must request approval to the CIS to gain conditional residence status for two years, after which he must apply for permanent status.

If I may be of help to you, please by all means call or e-mail me, to set up a phone or in-person appointment.
Naziri Hanassab LLP
Naziri Hanassab LLP | Vahid Naziri
File a fiance petition with USCIS. It will take USCIS 3 to 6 months to approve the fiance petition and then the foreign fiance will go to the US consulate in their home country to be processed for their K-1 fiance visa. This will take another 3 to 6 months. Once they have their visa (and K-2 visas for any minor children) they will come to the US and must get married within 90 days of arrival, after which they must file their papers for a green card, which typically are processed in 4 to 6 more months, depending on what state you live in. The fiance process can also be used for people who are already married, and sometimes helps to get married spouses here quicker than the normal green card processing at US Consulates abroad. This process is known as K-3 processing and works well for people who decide that they want to marry abroad and then come to the US.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
You should file a Fiancee Visa. If you are interested, please call me and I can help you get this process started immediately.
Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC
Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC | Kirk A. Carter
There are a variety of ways in which individuals bring their fiance's to the US. The traditional and safest way is for the US citizen to return to the US and file a fianc petition with USCIS. It will take USCIS 3 to 6 months to approve the fianc petition and then the foreign fianc will go to the US consulate in their home country to be processed for their K-1 fiance visa. This will take another 3 to 6 months. Once they have their visa (and K-2 visas for any minor children) they will come to the US and must get married within 90 days of arrival, after which they must file their papers for a green card, which typically are processed in 4 to 6 more months, depending on what state you live in. The fianc process can also be used for people who are already married, and sometimes helps to get married spouses here quicker than the normal green card processing at US Consulates abroad. This process is known as K-3 processing and works well for people who decide that they want to marry abroad and then come to the US. The other option is, if the fianc is here in the US in legal status, or even not in legal status, but entered the US legally the last time they came in, the couple can go get married and skip the fianc process and file their green card papers directly. This is much faster. However, a person who is planning to get married should not enter the US using a visitor's visa or any visa other than a K-1 visa because if they do, USCIS could deny their green card later saying that they lied about their plans when they entered the US. Therefore the marrying here option only works if someone is already here, or the foreign national doesn't know about the marriage plans when they enter the country. This is a complex area and it is always best to consult an attorney.
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
File a fiance petition for him.
    You would need to file a fiancee visa petition on her behalf and it will take about 7-12 months before she can come to the US with a valid visa.

Please feel free to contact me directly regarding this if you have any additional questions or would like assistance with this matter.
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
    File a fiance petition. You must demonstrate that you met in person withing the last 2 years, and both of you must show you are now legally able and willing to marry. After the petition is approved (about 5-6 months after filing), the file will be transferred to the National Visa enter, then to the Consulate closest to his home where he will have an interview. You must remain single during the process, and get marry in the US, within 90 days of arrival in the US.
    There are two ways:

1) Bring her as fiance and marry her within 90 days she arrives at USA;

2) Marry her abroad and bring her over as a spouse.

Either way, it would be wise to retain an immigration attorney you bear the burden to prove the bona fides of your relationship. In other word, the USCIS and consulate officers are trained to view each case like that as potentials of invasion of immigration law.

We are expert at these kind of cases because we know what USCIS and consulate officers are looking for in petition as far as the bona fides of the relationship.

You are more than welcome to contact us for further consultation.