How do I begin the process of filing for divorce at a reasonable cost and where to begin? 10 Answers as of June 24, 2015

I need to file a divorce but do not have a lot of money to put out on it at this time. How do I begin the process in the first place and what is the easiest way to go about this that is not too costly also?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
I recommend looking at the Family Court's website. They have self-help forms that will guide you as to what to do if you have a divorce that is contested or uncontested with children and without children.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 6/24/2015
Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
You have options, from trying to do it on your own(pro se); and there is a Court website with forms and a self help office in most or all counties that could result in getting the divorce done; or you could look for a low cost "clinic" to do it. Either of these options may result in problems if not handled correctly or dealing with everything that should be dealt with. There is another alternative, of using an attorney who will get it done right who might be willing to work on a payment plan over a period of time.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/24/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
A divorce begins with your filing a summons and petition and having it 'served,' (officially delivered) to your spouse. It's generally best to have a lawyer advise and represent you. There are law firms which offer low rates to low-income people. You might be able to find them online or in the Yellow Pages. If you represent yourself, you only have to pay the filing fee (which varies state by state: in Wisconsin it is either $184.50 or $194.50, depending on whether you are seeking any kind of support), and the cost of service of process. What you go without, however, is the advice of someone who has one dozens or hundreds of divorces and knows your legal rights and how a court is likely to rule if the spouses cannot reach agreement.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 6/23/2015
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
There are many ways to get a divorce reasonably cheaply however the cheapest was is if your soon to be ex and you agree to divorce and agree to a distribution of assets and debts before you begin that way you can be done as quickly as possible.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/23/2015
Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
Most counties have the forms that you need on line. We are talking about a simple divorce with no children, no businesses to value, etc.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 6/23/2015
    Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
    If you can ?retain a family law attorney, that is the best way to proceed. ?There are also legal aid offices that can assist you.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/23/2015
    James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
    You can go to the local Court and get the paperwork and possibly get help from the local Facilitators office.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/22/2015
    Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
    Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
    A divorce in California takes a minimum of six months from the date that the petition is served upon the respondent. Go to your local family law clerk and get a divorce packet as well as find out if they have clinics to help you do the paperwork.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/22/2015
    Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro
    Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro | Gerard A Fierro
    You can buy a book from You can go to the self help center of your local courthouse. Some attorney can work on your papers by charging by the hour piecemeal while you remain self-presented.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/22/2015
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
    Consider Mediation. Mediation is fast effective and affordable. Both spouses have to agree before Mediation can take place but it probably would be the best way to proceed.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 6/22/2015
Click to View More Answers: