How do I become a resident of California? 2 Answers as of January 10, 2011

I moved to California 2 years ago for school, and now that I have graduated I am living and working in California. I would like to become a California resident but do not know where to get started or what laws are about who can become a resident. Can you give me advice as to where to start and what laws and regulations I need to keep in mind when applying to be a CA resident?

You are already a California resident. Three months physically living in the state, absent for study, and establishing a permanent residence makes you one. However, becoming a legal resident of the USA is what controls. The states of the USA do not have immigration policies for admittance or granting of passports or citizenship. The U.S. Constitution forbids that, leaving all control over citizenship and immigration policy to the federal government. To become a legal resident of the USA, you have to have a close family member (spouse, parent), or a willing eligible employer to petition for you. If you want to know more of how to accomplish that status, feel free to e-mail or call me to set up an appointment for a consultation.
A good way to establish residency is to start developing documentation with that address - bills, driver's license, voting card (if you are a U.S. citizen). There is no one test on how to do this as it is factual. I would need to know the purpose for the residency to more specifically advise.