How do I become legally separated? 6 Answers as of June 08, 2015

What is the first step I have to take to get legally separated?

Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
You have to file the documents with the court. ?You can go to the self help center at the courthouse for help if you do not hire an attorney.
Depends on your jurisdiction, if you are in R.I. then you need file with the Family Court what is called, ?Divorce From Bed Board? the process is almost the same as a divorce, the problem you have with the legal separation once it is granted on the merits is this; if later on down the road you decide that you want a divorce you will then need to start the process all over again.
Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
File a petition for legal separation in the court in the county where you are a resident. Then have the other side served.
You properly file and serve the other party with a petition for a legal separation.
Your most prudent first step is to consult an experienced family law attorney. If you retain him or her, the lawyer will file a petition for legal separation in the appropriate court. The case usually proceeds very similarly to a divorce, except that the grounds are very slightly different, and the judgment will say Legal Separation instead of divorce. Hire a good lawyer. Good Luck.
    Petit & Dommershausen SC
    Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
    The essentials to filing for Legal Separation are the same in WI as with divorce, with the except of not indicating that the marriage is irretrievably broken.