How do I become legal if I was brought to the US illegally? 1 Answers as of April 22, 2011

My parents brought me into the US illegally when i was about 4 years old .I am currently 17 and attending High School .I am an honor roll student, but my biggest obstacle is being illegal. My parents are also illegal and they pay their taxes like every other american citizen, both of my parents also have clean records. If I leave the US and return to Mexico before I turn 18 is there a chance I could apply and hopefully get a student visa or re-enter the US legally ? Thank you!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
That sounds like a pretty frustrating situation. Technically if you depart before your 18th birthday you are not subject to the ten year bar. However to obtain a student visa you must demonstrate strong home ties to Mexico. Since you have not lived there since you were four, my guess is that will be very difficult to do. Have your parents cases examined to see if they are eligible to file for a green card under 245(i). Did any employer or family member ever file any papers with immigration or the department of labor on their behalf before April 30, 2001? Even if these were not approved, this may be used by them AND you, as their minor child at the time, to file for a GC in the US. If your grandparents ever had a green card or US citizenship, which sometimes happens with Mexican families, then someone may already have status without knowing it. If anyone was a victim of a crime, then you may be able to get the U visa which forgives all sorts of things and ultimately can lead to a green card. Good luck to you!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/22/2011
Click to View More Answers: