How do I ask my tenant to leave if I have decided I want to live in the house he is renting? 5 Answers as of September 30, 2014

How do I get rid of a renter in a single family home that I would like to move into and live in? I own the rental property. Do I ask him to leave in 60 days or do I need a document asking him to vacate the home?

You need to serve him with a 60 day notice to quit and then if he does not move out, you must file and serve him with an unlawful detainer action.
Law Office of Jeffrey T. Reed | Jeffrey T. Reed
Depending on your rental agreement, how long he has lived there, the local regulations, and how nice you want to be you need to give him some kind of notice to move out (Quit?). You are usually okay with giving him a 30 day notice to Quit and you can do this without any reason, but I would tell him why you need him to move.
Sarrail, Castillo & Hall, LLP | Monica Castillo
Many counties have very specific landlord-tenant regulations, in addition to California's laws. Best to consult a local landlord-tenant attorney.
It depends upon whether he is on a month to month tenancy or longer term. In California, you have to give a thirty day notice to a month to month tenant that you are not renewing the lease, sixty days if they have lived there a year or more. If there is rent control, you have to follow the rules of the Ellis Act [goggle it] to move back into your home. If the lease is longer than month to month, you can not legally force him out until the least expires.
I would tell him in a nice way, but then give him the 60 day notice of termination.