How do I apply for a visitor visa for a family member? 5 Answers as of February 03, 2011

I am US citizen. Can I apply visitor visa for my bother?

You may apply for a visitor visa for your brother but the burden is on your brother to "prove" to the consulate that he is just coming for a temporary visit and he will return. This requires a strong showing of ties to his home country - long term job, in school, leaving family members behind. More likely to be successful if you just request a short visit the first time. If he is really interested in staying longer term then he should explore other visa types.

If he or you would like a consult you may schedule this by contacting me as indicated below and I will advise fees and procedures.
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
Your brother needs to apply for his visitor visa on his own. However, you can send a letter of support and/or invitation indicating the reason for his visit, the length of his visit, and your agreement to provide whatever funds necessary during his stay. The real issue in these cases is that consular officials always think that a person with a U.S. citizen brother is not planning on returning to their home country. It is really important that your brother have evidence of his ties to his home country to demonstrate that he has an intent to return.
Individuals wishing to come to the U.S. as a visitor must apply themselves at the U.S. consulate having jurisdiction over their place of residence. The exact procedure is different at each consulate so your brother should go to the website of the consulate. To find the consulate/embassy nearest to him he should go to www.travel.state.gov/visas and click on "Find a U.S. Embassy."
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
Your brother must apply for his own visitor's visa in the US Consulate in the country where he lives. Your involvement might actually queer the deal for him, since the US Consul might suspect that your brother is an intending immigrant.

In my own experience, the US Embassy in a European country refused to give my adult stepson a visitor's visa. When his father applied for a residence permit for him, the same Embassy granted it. The difference is that in family-based immigration, the petitioner is financially responsible for the immigrant.
Yes you can. You need to make sure to guarantee he has no intent to immigrate by proving his ties to your home country. Good luck!