How do I apply for a green card? 2 Answers as of March 13, 2011

I am in America at the moment on a 12 month j1 visa, I will be returning home in September to finish my college degree and hope to return to the US September 2012 and possibly obtain a green card. I wanted to know how long do I have to be in the US before I can apply? What is the procedure?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
How long it takes, and whether you can, depends on how you go about it. If you are getting married to an American citizen, or if you are under 21 and have a parent who is an American citizen, it can happen within a year. If you are still needing to get a sponsoring employer, it depends on the job and the education and skill level you possess, it could last years. In all cases, there is a two-step process to a green card: 1) your spouse/parent/employer files a petition to the CIS, sponsoring you. If or when that is approved, you apply for adjustment of status. If you want to explore it further, feel free to call or e-mail me to set up an appointment for an in-person or phone consultation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/13/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
There are many ways to obtain green card. As far as how you may obtain one, a consultation is needed before the right strategy can be identified. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 3/8/2011
Click to View More Answers: