How do I apply for derivative citizenship? 2 Answers as of February 03, 2011

I was adopted by US citizens as a minor but my paper was not processed. Now I am 32 years old. I live in Saipan for 18 years with two US citizen children. What is the best option for me to obtain a green card? Saipan is now under federal. My question now is how to apply for derivative citizenship? Can I fill up the form myself or do I need an attorney to do it for me? Thanks so much again! I'm very frustrated in regard to my status due to I would like to take my kids to US to have a better future and education. Thanks.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
Your adult US citizen children can apply for your green card for you. Since you are only 32 years old, your children are not likely adults. Are you still married to their US citizen parent? If so, ask your spouse to file I-130 for you. If your parents did not ask for you to be naturalized as a child, then derivative citizenship is no longer open to you. You need to consult a lawyer who understands the US National vs. US citizen question.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 2/3/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
You can always apply yourself. but it is always recommended for a lawyer to help you to avoid mistakes.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 2/1/2011
Click to View More Answers: