How do I answer a class action suit? 8 Answers as of February 27, 2014

I have been named defendant in a complaint filed in court by the lawyers of a credit card company for non payment of bill. I have been summoned to submit an answer to this complaint.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
You should retain an attorney to answer for you.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/27/2014
Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
This is not something that can be answered in the abstract. You need legal advice from someone who handles such cases. Important considerations are whether the lawsuit is by the original creditor or a debt buyer, the amount sought, and whether you have a defense.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 2/26/2014
Stacy Joel Safion, Esq.
Stacy Joel Safion, Esq. | Stacy Joel Safion
Are you sure you are not a plaintiff?
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/26/2014
Patrick W. Currin, Attorney at Law | Patrick Currin
I suspect you have been sued on a simple collection for non-payment, not a class action. If is rare that such a complaint is verified, that is the plaintiff states under penalty of perjury that the facts are true. In that event, you can file a general denial. Google it and fill out the PDF. You will have to pay a filing fee for the answer.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/25/2014
Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
File an answer within 23 days of the complaint to avoid default judgment.
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 2/25/2014
    Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
    An answer responds to each allegation in the complaint. You should seek the assistance of an attorney if it is a class action. If it involves your employment your employer may retain an attorney for you.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 2/25/2014
    Fluhr & Moore, LLC | Steven S. Fluhr
    You must admit or deny each allegation in each paragraph of the complaint, sign the answer and file the original in court and send a copy to the attorney for the plaintiff. Wise to keep a copy for yourself and proof as to when it was sent and filed with the court.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 2/25/2014
    Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
    If you have been named as a Defendant in a class action law suit, you should consult an attorney as soon as possible.
    Answer Applies to: Arkansas
    Replied: 2/26/2014
Click to View More Answers: