How do I access a trust for a family emergency? 1 Answers as of November 16, 2015

Mom passed away without a will. There was a very old trust document we found that says "upon my daughter's death or upon the attainment of my son's age at 27 years old, whichever shall last occur," my son will be paid annually. We have an emergency and about ready to be homeless due to overdue property taxes. I was laid off and we are broke! the bank who holds the trust will not release any funds to us-I only asked for the amt to pay back property taxes. Suggestions and advice please.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Sebby Law Office
Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
You could petition the local probate court to acknowledge that the trust has come to its natural end and order that the payments should begin. However, that might not happen quick enough to deal with your present emergency. If it does, you may not be able to access more than the annual payment established by the trust.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 11/16/2015
Click to View More Answers: