How could my parents get a Will done? 26 Answers as of June 30, 2015

My parents are over 50 and they are looking into getting a will. They pretty much have their home paid off, have some cars, stocks, and all the normal stuff. Do wills ever expire? How much does it cost to get a will done? How long will it take for them to get a legitimate will?

LAW OFFICE OF ROBERT I LONG
LAW OFFICE OF ROBERT I LONG | Robert I. Long
They need to consult an estate planning attorney to advise them what is appropriate in their circumstances. There is no one-size-fits-all estate plan; it is different for everyone. It is a process, not a sheaf of papers, and begins with a consultation to determine their circumstances. The costs can range from a few hundred dollars to prepare simple wills, to several thousand dollars to prepare and fund a family trust and execute other documents such as durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives.
Christine Sabio Socrates Attorney at Law | Christine Socrates
Your parents should consult with an attorney that specializes in estate planning and probate. Wills never expire but can be made be amended or voided at anytime by the person who created it. Generally a will is done on a package with along with other important documents such as powers of attorney, living will, trusts and sometimes deeds/affidavits of transfer on death. Therefore, an attorney in your area should be able to let you know how much that would cost as it varies in price. Creating a will usually takes one meeting with an attorney and then a return meeting to execute the document(s). It can be done as quickly as you may needed it. Please let me know if you have further questions or would like a consultation.
Wills never expire, it's not unusual to see 40 year old wills being admitted to probate. Wills do become out of date as circumstances change. People named as executors die, heirs have children, the parents have more children, there can be special needs beneficiaries that need different treatment, etc. Getting wills done usually takes a week or so, you'll meet with your attorney the first time to tell him/her about your situation and your wishes, then a second time to sign the documents. Unless you parents have a complex situation, for example they own a business, they have special needs beneficiaries, they have beneficiaries with addictions or financial problems, they have beneficiaries who are children. It should cost less than $500.
Wills don't expire. Simple wills might cost $300-400. Shouldn't take more than a few days. See your local bar assn. for a referral.
Law Office of T. Phillip Boggess | T. Phillip Boggess
Wills do not expire. Cost varies based on complexity and the documents needed to accomplish your estate planning goals.
    A will can be executed by any adult who is considered legally competent (pretty much everyone). Your parents should consult an estate attorney in their area for assistance as the laws vary from state to state. A will does not "expire"; however, it can be updated or even replaced by a will drafted at a later date. It doesn't take long to draft a will, especially if the estate is not complicated and the person knows what they own and who they want to leave it to. The cost can range from a few hundred dollars (a simple estate) to several thousands (larger or more complex estates).
    They can contact an attorney and get a will done. My firm charges $250.00 for a will for a husband and a will for a wife if the wills are simple. It takes about 1 week.
    O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C.
    O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C. | Sean P. O'Keefe
    In Maryland, your parents can prepare their own wills themselves or work with an attorney to prepare the wills. Wills do not expire, and only become effective upon death. The cost of will preparation may depend on many circumstances such as skill and complexity involved and the geographic area's rates for service. I have charged $250 for a non-tax planning "basic" will, so you may see prices more and less than that. Wills can be prepared in a short time, but often there is other legal work on which the attorney may be working so I would say expect a week or few weeks for the document to be ready for review and execution.
    S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
    There a lots of attorneys who prepare wills and your parents should have little difficulty finding one. The cost involved in drafting a will varies and often depends on the nature of the assets and desired disposition of those assets. The cost also depends to some extent on the amount an attorney charges for his or her services and this varies. A validly prepared and executed (signed and witnessed) will can last indefinitely if there is no change in the scheme of disposition of the assets ( e.g. adding or subtracting a beneficiary).
    Wills last until the person dies. ?They should first read some books on Wills and trusts to see what issues are involved and what might be best for them [tax consequences, appreciation of property, control over the property, possible problems, costs, etc.] ?then they should speak to some local attorneys to see what other issues may exist and what the attorney can do for them. ?The charges might be as low as $500-$1,000 for a very simply form will to much more.
    Consult a probate/trust lawyer. I would advise you have an estate plan, consisting of a trust, pourover will, durable power of attorney, advance healthcare directive, a deed of residence into the trust, an assignment of any and all personal and real property into the trust. I prefer hourly arrangements and not flat fee contracts, as flat fee contracts can give rise to poor attorney work if under quoted. Hope this helps.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
    An estate plan which includes, Wills, powers of attorney for health and financial matters and a living Will starts at $500 at our law firm. They do not expire. This is opinion is solely based upon the facts presented in the inquiry. Additional facts may be important and may change the analysis. If you are uncertain, seek legal counsel. We are not your attorneys. This answer is being offered to assist you in determining if you need to retain legal counsel to assist you, not to resolve your issue through an email inquiry.
    Irsfeld, Irsfeld & Younger LLP | Norman H. Green
    They contact a lawyer who practices in this area. Wills generally do not expire until after death, unless they are revoked. Time and costs vary. Many lawyers will meet for a short time for free (30-60 minutes) before quoting a price.
    The Law Office of David L. Leon
    The Law Office of David L. Leon | David L. Leon
    Wills are not expensive. Most lawyers will offer a package for a few hundred dollars. The process takes a few days.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
    We can't really answer price questions on an open system like this. It's less than you think. Just don't let them go the online or package forms route. Your will is the last thing you say on Earth, and it cannot be changed once the testator has passed away. It has to be right; don't short-cut it.
    James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
    James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
    It does not take long to have a will done.. nor should it be that expensive for them ... many attorneys will do them for less than $500 .. unless they want or need something more extensive like a trust... Wills do not expire.. but many times people choose to change them because they want to change beneficiaries, change the % a beneficiary or change who are the successor personal representatives.
    Estrada Law P.C. | Michele Ungvarsky
    Have your parents contact an Estate Planning Attorney in your town. Look for an attorney who specializes in Estate Planning so they get comprehensive plans not just a one size fits all computer print-out. Prices may vary depending on the area you live in, and I would recommend working with an attorney who charges a flat fee rather than an hourly rate. That way they know going in what the price will be and what they will be getting for the price. Wills do not expire but they should be updated when major events happen in life such as births, deaths, marriages, divorces, etc. In my office from beginning to end (initial meeting, planning meeting and signing meeting) the process takes about two to three weeks.
    Answer Applies to: New Mexico
    Wellerstein Law Group, P.C.
    Wellerstein Law Group, P.C. | Elisha Wellerstein
    Wills do not expire. They can reach out to a local Trust and Estates attorney or an Elder Law attorney.
    Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons
    Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons | Patrica A Simmons
    Wills do not expire. However, individuals should make sure that the beneficiaries and designated personal representatives are up to date. Changes to a will should be done whenever there are life changing events, such as births, death, marriage and divorce occur. Each attorney sets his/her own rate to draft a will. Each parent must have his/her own will. The length of time to complete a will depends upon the attorney's schedule. You can contact your county's bar association to get referrals to estate planning attorneys for an initial consultation.
    Kokish & Goldmanis, P.C.
    Kokish & Goldmanis, P.C. | Bernard H. Greenberg
    They should contact an attorney who specializes in wills and trusts. The price will vary depending on what they wish to accomplish in their estate plan. Tell them to NOT rely on any advice from the internet.
    The Bryan Law Firm, L.L.C.
    The Bryan Law Firm, L.L.C. | Douglas L. Bryan
    Each person must have his or her own will; therefore, each of your parents would need to have a will prepared. They are relatively inexpensive and help prevent fights among family members after one's death. I generally charge $150 per person if preparing wills for both husband and wife, or $175 for one will.
    The Krone Law Firm, LLC | Norman B. Krone
    They should have Wills. They will need to consult with an attorney who does Wills and/or Estate planning. Wills do not expire, but must be done as required by your state's statutes. Cost will vary, based upon what needs to be done, but they can expect to pay about $1,000 to $1,500 and to expect one to two weeks to get an adequate job done. While they may get quotes at lower prices, they should require a document tailored to there specific needs.
    Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
    Its best to get a will prepared by a qualified person, namely an attorney that specializes in estate planning. The cost will depend on the attorney's charge. Wills do not expire. One visit to the attorney's office should be able to get the will done. The attorney will be abreast of the laws of the state to ensure that the will is legitimate.
    Attorney At Law | James G. Maguire
    Wills do not expire. The fee for a reasonably simple husband and wife is around $250.00. The wills can be completed in a few days.
    Yes, they should have a will, actually an estate plan. Costs vary with complexity.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
    A properly attested will remains effective until it is revoked. A will does not go into effect until the testator dies and the will is approved in a probate proceeding. The cost of preparing a will depends on the customary rates in the area where your parents live and the nature of the will that is created and executed. They should speak with an attorney and find out what can be done and at what cost. Typically, such an initial attorney consultation is without any charge.