How could my brother unfreeze his bank account? 8 Answers as of August 25, 2015

My brother’s bank account was frozen 2 days ago for an old credit card bill. The last payment paid was about 2012. SOL is 3 years. He has a court date coming up. What could he do now to unfreeze his account? He has a mortgage and other bills to pay. Should he send a letter to the collection agency and advise them of SOL?

The statute of limitations is the deadline to sue. If the creditor has already sued him, the statute of limitations is meaningless.
The collection agency knows about limitations periods. But SOL is an affirmative defense it is not automatic. In a lawsuit against him your brother must raise this defense in a responsive pleading. Is the credit card issued by the same bank where he has his account? It's kind of imprudent to deposit money in a bank to which you owe a delinquent debt. Good luck to you both.
Eranthe Law Firm
Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
The SOL on a credit card debt is a defense to a lawsuit. It won't automatically stop anything by itself. Where is your brother located? You should post in that state. In California the SOL is 4 years on credit card debt. Also if there was a judgment taken it wouldn't apply anymore. Judgments can be renewed forever. He should see a knowledgeable local debt defense attorney to advise him on what to do.
To freeze it they must have a judgement. He should see a lawyer about bankruptcy. He could possibly find one at NACBA.org
If they froze the bank account that means they have a judgment and it is no longer a 3 year SOL.
    I do not know how much money is at stake here, but his only option would be to ask that the exemptions available under state law be applied to protect his account. The SOL would not apply because by virtue of the account being attached, a court judgment has already been entered against him. I guess he forgot to mention this when telling you about this problem.
    Your brother needs to engage an attorney to receive consultation as to his rights, defenses and liabilities. I would need more facts to counsel him.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    If they are freezing his account they have a judgment so SOL is no longer an issue.