How could I solve a theft of services and will it be on my record? 1 Answers as of April 24, 2015

I was running late to take the train back home. To save time, I suggested we use his 10 week metro card to go through. I was in a rush and the machine to buy a ticket was on the other end. I decided to go through the turnstile and double up with my friend. Long story short, we ended up arrested and given a DAT. We both have clean criminal records and it was our first time ever getting in trouble with the law and being arrested. Now I have court, and I'm worried as to what to expect. The charge is theft of services. Do I need an attorney? I'm a 20 year, old college student and can’t afford one.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Rothstein Law PLLC
Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
You both are charged with crimes so you need an attorney. If you are indigent, the Court will assign you a public defender. I handle cases like this all the time and there are likely ways to get the case dismissed and sealed. Feel free to contact me if you wish to hire a lawyer. A case like this should not be too expensive, especially if you and your friend hire the same lawyer.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/24/2015
Click to View More Answers: