How could I receive compensation for medical costs after falling at a bar? 11 Answers as of August 14, 2015

How could I receive compensation for medical costs after falling at a bar?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
What are your injuries? What made you fall? I'd like to know if a liability case can be made against the bar, for significant injuries. This needs to be fully discussed, to see if it can be pursued.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/14/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
You assemble your medical bills and write the bar giving a brief account of what happened, showing that your injuries arose from some negligence on their part. Tell them what your medical bills total, and ask them to refer your claim to their insurer. If you don't hear after ten days or so, then you will likely want to consult a personal injury lawyer and proceed to sue them if your lawyer concludes that they are liable. Lawyers also know some grounds for additional damages that are not necessarily known among lay people.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 8/13/2015
Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
You need to provide additional details. Just falling on someones property does not make them negligent or liable. If you were intoxicated the bar owner may not be liable. What you have to prove is that the bar owner knew of the dangerous condition that caused your fall and you did not. Or that the bar owner had superior knowledge and failed to warn you of the dangerous condition. If you had any alcohol in your system after the fall, (documented typically in the hospital records)then you will likely have a difficult time with your claim. Alcohol has a way of effecting your ability to properly react to and notice dangerous conditions. As such, you should speak with a personal injury lawyer as there is a lot of evidence that either has already been destroyed, this information needs to be secured if you are serious about bringing a claim or not. If you were seriously hurt speak with an attorney, however if you were not seriously injured you may have a difficult time finding an attorney. These are very difficult cases. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 8/13/2015
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
You don't state whether the bar owner was negligent. ?If he was, contact his insurance carrier to make a claim. ?If he or no one else was at fault, you have to look to your own insurance coverage.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/13/2015
Gregory M Janks, PC
Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
Maybe, if the bar has "med pay" coverage, then their insurer would pay unreimbursed medical costs without regard to how or why the incident happened and without regard to fault. You may also be able to obtain other recovery from the bars liability policy (if it has insurance) but you then have to prove fault or negligence in causing you injury. MI premises liability cases have gotten harder to pursue since the MI Supreme Court ruled that open & obvious conditions can not be the basis for a claim. I'd suggest a free legal consultation with a local lawyer who regularly handles premises claims.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/13/2015
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
    Presuming the bar is not liable, if it has a premises liability policy that has a medical payments provision, it may pay for your medical bills only. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 8/12/2015
    Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
    Slip and fall cases are, by their nature, difficult. First, you must be able to prove negligence on the part of the property owner/occupant. Negligence could be defined as the failure to use REASONABLE care; the owner is not a guarantor. To do this, you must be able to prove that the owner put the slippery substance there, or that they had prior knowledge of the hazard and failed to take care of it promptly. Second, they will claim ?comparative fault?, meaning that you had a duty to watch where you were walking, and thus are partly at fault. The result is that most lawyers are reluctant to take a slip and fall case unless there are substantial damages, and there are at least some arguments to be made on the question of fault.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/12/2015
    Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
    You cannot, unless you can prove that you fell because of something over which the bar had control, and that they could have prevented it from happening. Just because you fell does not make someone else responsible.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 8/12/2015
    Law Offices of Robert Burns
    Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
    By pursuing a civil claim and/or lawsuit. Without there being no-fault insurance or an adequate showing of the bar's fault, you probably won't collect much. You are required by law to have your own insurance and hospitals are required to provide emergency services to you in an emergency.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/12/2015
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    While you can file a claim with the bar's insurance carrier; you do not present enough information on whether your claim would be successful. The bar must be negligent and owe a duty to you. See a personal injury attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 8/12/2015
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    You may be entitled to compensation for your accident. Could you describe what made you fall and do you recall what the doctor said your injury is?
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 8/12/2015
Click to View More Answers: