How could I protect my rights and those of my children from my husband? 6 Answers as of June 22, 2015

What can I do to protect my rights along with my children? My sons and I have been verbally and physically abused by him for years. Neighbors and family members have noted this.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
Not enough facts-have you filed for divorce? You should consult with a family law attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/22/2015
Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
If appropriate, you might be entitled to an Order of Protection and Exclusive protection. A divorce action can also deal with these issues and support also(which would require a separate support proceeding in Family Court). The issue of the father's parenting time may also be impacted if there was physical abuse that is serious enough to raise domestic violence issues.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/22/2015
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
You need protection of your persons (domestic violence protection order) not protection of your rights.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/19/2015
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
While filing your divorce action, immediately file and serve an emergency protective restraining order request.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/19/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
You could seek a divorce especially since this sounds like something other than a marriage made in heaven. As part of the divorce you can obtain restraining orders, and very likely see that his time with the children is supervised. You could see a domestic abuse injunction which will keep him away from the home if it is granted, but living expenses fr each of you will probably increase substantially. You could locate a skilled marriage counselor and try to persuade him to come with you to sessions. You could complain to law enforcement about specific acts of abuse. Find an experienced matrimonial lawyer in your area, who can review the facts with you in much greater detail, and can advise you.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 6/19/2015
Click to View More Answers: