How could I help my brother file taxes? 5 Answers as of June 08, 2015

My 20 year old brother has never filed taxes and receives his money under the table. He has been working off and on ever since he was about 16. I want him to file but he thinks that he will be punished. What can we do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Robert Beatson II | Robert Beatson II
Dear Sir/Madam, The facts need to be carefully reviewed and analyzed. An experienced tax attorney/accountant should be able to handle this. I have 30+ years of experience and further information about my tax/law practice is at Please call or e-mail me if I can help you now or in the future. Thank you.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 6/8/2015
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
The penalty for failure to file a return is 5% a month of the tax owed max of 50%. There is also a late payment penalty of 5% a month max of 50%. Of course, there is interest (3% a year currently) on any unpaid taxes. Possibly your brother can get with the IRS to eliminate the penalties, if he voluntarily files the returns and requests a waiver. Interest is never waived. Unless you're an attorney, CPA or enrolled agent, you can't represent your brother with the IRS. Of course, you can help him file the returns.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 5/25/2015
Polsinelli Shughart PC | William B. Prugh
You likely know the answer you are seeking, it is wrong not to file or pay taxes, the penalties can be severe and expensive, a criminal violation may be involved for willful failure to file or pay, and the problem never goes away and is always there to be discovered. However, if delinquent tax returns are filed before the IRS begins an investigation, you can sometimes negotiate a settlement or payment plan. The real problem is that there is probably an absence of reliable records with which to prepare a tax return. Consult a tax preparer, CPA or attorney to get started.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 5/20/2015
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
I would suggest that you steer him into a tax attorney or accountant to correct his past omissions.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 5/20/2015
Irsfeld, Irsfeld & Younger LLP | Norman H. Green
Prepare a 2014 return. Probably you'll want to file it, but you can decide that after it is prepared.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/20/2015
Click to View More Answers: