How could I get the Negligent Driving 2nd degree reduced or dropped? 3 Answers as of September 17, 2015

I was driving behind an individual who suddenly slammed no his breaks. I turned to the left across a double yellow line with no traffic in front. When I went to move back into the line the driver clipped my rear and sent me into the ditch. A police officer was behind us and called the state patrol (who wrote us both tickets for negligent driving 2nd degree). Both of us decided to settle the accident out of court and provided no statement. But the state trooper wrote us tickets anyways. Also, the ticket is for $550, but the website says rcw 46.61.525 is a $250 fine. There is no other infraction or charge on the ticket.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Retain the right attorney.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 9/17/2015
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
You should hire a lawyer and get this relatively minor charge dismissed. By yourself you're going to get a criminal record, and it isn't worth it.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/16/2015
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
I can't possibly answer your question without more info, including an examination of the police reports. I suggest that you hire an attorney in your area who can examine the case in greater detail. For starters, based upon what you have stated, you, as the trailing driver, must always travel at a safe enough distance so that if the vehicle in front needs to suddenly stop, you can react appropriately. From what you have said, you were apparently diving too close...... that is negligent driving.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 9/16/2015
Click to View More Answers: