How could I get my ex to pay for medical insurance for our children? 7 Answers as of June 17, 2015

My ex is responsible for paying for medical insurance for our 2 kids per our divorce orders. He has not paid these costs for more than 14 years. He is now backing out on college cost splits we agreed to through non legal means. I stopped trying to get the money from him on the insurance long ago... can I now go back and get him to pay for what he was legally responsible for? I know its been a long time but his lack of staying with our agreed upon college plan has left me in significant debt.

James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
It's unlikely that you can go back 14 years. Contact an attorney.
Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
You need to file for an order re contempt for non payment and modify the order to include college costs.
Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
The statute of limitations to enforce support obligations is 20 years, so you could enforce the medical insurance provisions. You could also seek Court Order obligations to contribute towards college; most likely will be based upon your respective incomes; you may be limited to an amount based upon a SUNY school, depending upon how much income he has; or not, if he has sufficient income, with his educational background being a factor.
Law Offices of Robert Burns
Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
Maybe. Someone needs to review your Court orders and determine if you've complied with any specified process for billing/collecting and whether you have engaged in prejudicial delay.
If this was properly and clearly put in your court order, return to court on a motion for enforcement. Please meet with an experienced family law attorney to explore your legal options.
    The best (and most frequent) way of enforcing obligations in a divorce which one spouse is not performing is to bring a motion for contempt (or an Order to Show Cause, which is much the same thing). You can ask the Court to order him to pay all or part of your attorney's fees although courts tend to be a bit lenient about the amounts they order paid. Find a skilled matrimonial lawyer, bring him the divorce judgment and any proof you may have of his failure to pay, and see what s/he thinks is the best course of action.
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
    My suggestion is that you file a Motion for Contempt and to Force Payment, with the Court that has jurisdiction over your divorce. If successful, the Court may also order your spouse to pay attorneys fees and costs. Accordingly, you might want to consider hiring an attorney to assist you in this matter.