How could I get green card if I am Out of status? 2 Answers as of July 01, 2011

I came in the US Dec. 2006 with a valid tourist visa. I was given 6 months to stay. I'm a Registered Nurse in my country and would like also to be licensed here. So what I did is to apply to take the State Board of Nursing. I attended review classes and when I finally passed the board exam, my visa has expired already. I couldn't get a job as an RN because of my status. After 3 years of my stay here, I met my boyfriend and we just got engaged last Friday. He would like to help me take care of my status by marrying me and for us to live together for good. Is this the best way and how long will it take?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
If your boyfriend is a USC, then I tend to agree that this is the best way if you are doing it in good faith. If my assumption is correct, then go and get married and file your adjustment of status packet. Since you are an immediate relative of a USC, your overstaying will be forgiven. I always recommend hiring an attorney if this is something that is important to you. A well prepared adjustment of status packet should not take more than 6 months from application to green card. A bad one can take substantially longer and may cause you a migraine the size of Texas. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/1/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
From the details you provide, it appears you are eligible to file for a green card via your USC husband. In San Francisco, the process currently takes about 3-4 months, however this varies by region. You will want to have a full consult with a competent immigration attorney to fully analyze your eligibility for the green card before applying. I am happy to schedule this or else please contact another attorney that you like!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/30/2011
Click to View More Answers: