How could I get a critical needs license after a DUI? 4 Answers as of August 18, 2015

My 19 year old son got a DUI last year with a BAC of .04. He lost his license for 1 year from the DMV and the court starting in Oct. He took DUI ED classes and finished in Dec. He applied for a Crit. Needs license in Jan and was denied. He is attending college that is 10 miles from where he lives and the classes run from 1-9 PM, when there is no public transportation. I live 125 miles away, but have been driving over to take him to school when he can't get a ride or the weather is too bad to ride a bike. Why did the DMV deny the CCN license? It seems that his need is there. Do we need to petition the court to allow the license before DMV will approve? Calling DMV did not enlighten us at all.

A person is eligible when, in the opinion of the department, any one or more of the following circumstances exist: 1) School or other transportation facilities are inadequate for regular attendance at school and at activities authorized by the school. The application shall be accompanied by a signed statement from the school principal verifying such facts. A license issued shall be restricted to operating a vehicle from residence to the school and return. 2) Reasonable transportation facilities are inadequate and operation of a vehicle by a minor is necessary due to illness of a family member. The application shall be accompanied by a signed statement from a physician familiar with the condition, containing a diagnosis and probable date when sufficient recovery will have been made to terminate the emergency. 3) Transportation facilities are inadequate, and use of a motor vehicle is necessary in the transportation to and from the employment of the applicant and the applicant's income from such employment is essential in the support of the family, or where the applicant's operation of a motor vehicle is essential to an enterprise from which an appreciable portion of the income of the family will be derived. The application shall be accompanied by a signed statement from the parents or the guardian, setting forth the reasons a permit is necessary under this subsection. The existence of public transportation at reasonable intervals within one mile of the residence of the applicant may be considered adequate grounds for refusal of a junior permit.
Schooling is not deemed a critical need. I might suggest that you ask the DMV if he gets an interlock device installed in his vehicle, whether that would enable him to operate a vehicle. That is probably your only chance.
He does not have a critical need. He will not die IF he misses a semester of college. CRITICAL NEED. I will DIE if I cannot get where I need to go. You can retain an attorney to try, but you calling will probably not be successful, because you cannot practice law.
You should engage an attorney to see whether or not it is possible to get him a restricted license for the purpose of going to and from school and work. Judging from your terminology however it does not appear that you are from Michigan and therefore should be seeking a local attorney to assist you.