How could I get copies of a required post-divorce payment? 9 Answers as of June 12, 2015

I'm required to pay 50% of a monthly loan payment as a result of my divorce decree, and the loan is my ex-wife's name. I would like to receive a copy of the monthly statement, and contacted my ex to ask her to provide me with a copy each month, or to contact the loan company and add my name to the "permissions", so that I could request a copy myself. She did not/does not respond to any contact from me. I really need a copy of the monthly statement, so that I'll have record of payments made, balance remaining, and so that I can also confirm that my ex is, indeed, paying her 50% each month. I no longer have an attorney on retainer, and am wondering if I would be able to send a short letter (Pro Se) to the judge who presided over our divorce, asking for his help and suggestions.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
File a request for order to have her obtain copies and forward to you. Notes to the judge are not advisable. You can go to the self help center at the courthouse for assistance in preparing the documents.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/12/2015
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
It will be substantially easier if you simply Keep copies of all monthly payments and do your own accounting.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/11/2015
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
This should have been provided for in the decree (property settlement). You should not send letters to a judge. You can make a motion to the court asking for an accounting and asking to have monthly statements provided until the loan is paid.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/11/2015
John Russo | John Russo
You can?t send letters to a Judge that is Ex Parte communication, you need to file a motion asking the court to order her to give you the info, the court will grant that request once you get in front of a Judge.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 6/11/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
The judge will not usually give you any suggestions. You could move for an Order requiring her to provide the statements to you. It might be in the form of a motion to amend the judgment. Get back in touch with your lawyer: it's almost always worth it. Good Luck.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 6/11/2015
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    I would suggest you contact the loan company asking that the monthly statement be sent to you and provide them with a copy of the document which requires you payment to them.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 6/11/2015
    Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
    The judge assigned to the case has nothing before him/her that would require any judicial actions. If you are unable to obtain the necessary information, a post judgment application, by Order to Show Cause, may be necessary. While there is no requirement that you have an attorney draft it, you may not be able to get the papers done right otherwise. There should be a self help office in the Supreme Court building that may be able to assist you. If you need to retain counsel to get compliance with the obligations in the divorce decree and agreement, you should be entitled to counsel fees to accomplish that.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 6/11/2015
    Law Offices of Julie A. Ringquist | Julie A. Ringquist
    You can not have ex parte communications with the Judge. You must file the proper paperwork and serve your ex wife with a copy. Depending on how the Judgment is worded, you may be able to subpoena the records directly from the credit card company.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/11/2015
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
    You can go back to the Judge and ask for an Order requiring your ex to sign an authorization authorizing the lender to release the information to you.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 6/11/2015
Click to View More Answers: