How could I get another license if I have a warrant? 28 Answers as of June 29, 2013

How could I get another SD license and 3 months later find out I have a warrant out for my arrest for things that happened in 2009 and 2010

License issues are usually not connected to whether a warrant exists for a charge.
THE LOCKHART LAW FIRM | CLAYTON LOCKHART
I'm not sure what an SD license is, but if you have warrants for your arrest from 2009 and 2010, then they may be for misdemeanors and the licensing authority never ran your info to find out if you were eligible to have your license renewed. This is not an uncommon occurrence.
Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law
Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law | Mark Thiessen
What's an SD license?
Because they have nothing to do with each other.
Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
Get a lawyer and get your situation in a better place. Otherwise, you will be completely screwed by your inaction on the warrants.
    Myles Hahn III Attorney at Law | Myles Hahn III
    You have to solve the problems one at a time. You need to find out more about the warrant(s) and do something about it. Do you know case numbers (from bond slips or warrants or other papers?) What court were you supposed to appear in (what city)? What do you mean by an "SD license"? Etc.
    Law Offices of Sharp and Driver | Matt Sharp
    There are various situations in which that could have happened. If the warrants are for tickets, it could be that the courts where your tickets are pending didn't report the warrants to dps until after you got your new license. If the warrants are for county charges, it could be that the charges didn't get filed until after you got your license.
    Alvin Lundgren | Alvin Lundgren
    You may need to take care of the warrant issues first.
    Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
    Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
    If you need specific legal advice for your particular circumstances, I encourage you to privately consult with a lawyer. If you are charged with an offense and cannot afford to pay for your own defense, the court may appoint you an attorney payable at the public's expense. You have a right to counsel. Generally speaking, with traffic suspensions, revocations, or records, most states honor the legal doctrine known as a reciprocity, meaning they honor the driving records of other respective states. However, it is not a perfect system. Not all states are aware of a person's activities an another state. Currently, there is no central, national record for most traffic matters; it's still a state-controlled matter for the most part. It is possible for one state to grant a driver a license simply because they had no idea about the driver's activities in another state. However, if the state that issued the license later becomes aware of a warrant or a suspension from another state, they may take action to suspend or revoke the driver's license. Further, if they required disclosure of certain information and if the driver failed to provide that information, or if they suspect fraud, there could be criminal charges. Generally speaking, it's a very dangerous idea to try to exploit the differences between the states to obtain a license in one state if a person's license had been suspended in another state. With pending warrants, I would advise you to retain a lawyer and turn yourself in.
    Kevin Bessant
    Kevin Bessant | Kevin Bessant
    You need to be more specific with your question in terms of why your license was suspended and what the warrant for your arrest is for. Typically a warrant will not automatically suspend your license unless the warrant is for unpaid traffic fines and costs with the court. Please elaborate on the facts and circumstances of your situation for me to better assist you.
    If SD has their laws similar to Illinois, I doubt you can get a new license if you have warrants outstanding. Perhaps, you should contact an attorney to find out for you what warrants, if any, you have outstanding, and how to get them quashed and recalled. Your DMV could tell you what you need to do to get your SD license reinstated.
    I have no way of speculating on why something happened or didn't. Bureaucracies make mistakes, just like people. Now, if there is a warrant, whether in error or not, to properly handle it, you must turn yourself into the issuing court, with or without an attorney, and try to negotiate a recall of the warrant[s] on whatever facts you have. On felony charges, the defendant must be personally present at every court hearing and appearance. On misdemeanors and infractions, your attorney can appear in court without the defendant being present.
    Law Office of Bernal Peter Ojeda | Bernal Peter Ojeda
    The DMV often act separately also warrants sometimes don't appear on the data base.
    Leonard A. Kaanta, P.C. | Leonard A. Kaanta
    Having a warrant out for you has nothing to do with getting a driver's license.
    Larry K. Dunn & Associates | Larry K. Dunn
    Assuming "SD license" means a driver's license, you must contact the court and/or the appropriate District Attorney's Office to 'clear' the warrant, that is surrender on the warrant or arrange an appearance at the court without having to be arrested. Once the warrant is cleared, you need to make sure the court sends a clearance notice to DMV. At that time you can contact DMV to have the suspension lifed.
    When you ask a question make sure that you give the person enough of the facts to answer it. First of all, never use an abbreviation that is not common or can have several meanings. Second, yur sentence is not gramatically correct and does not tell me what happened. Try again and ask the question so that I understand what the issues are.
    Conway Law Pllc.
    Conway Law Pllc. | B. L. Conway
    It happens all the time.
    Law Office of Ronald G. Draper | Ronald G. Draper
    I have knowledge of your complete driving history, therefore it's difficult to determine possible considerations. Request your driving history from the Secretary of State. There you get a complete analysis from the driving abstract.
    Obviously, someone missed the warrant when you renewed your license.
    Austin Hirschhorn, P.C.
    Austin Hirschhorn, P.C. | Austin Hirschhorn
    I don't know what you mean by a SD license, but based upon the rest of your email I assume that the outstanding warrant has nothing to do with having an SD license. I think you need to find out what the outstanding warrant or warrants are for and then retain an attorney to handle the matters for which the warrant or warrants have been issued.
    One event does not impact the other. A thorough background check is not always run when you apply for a license other than a driving record.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    DMV does not know and did not know that there were warrants out for your arrest. Why would warrants prevent you from obtaining a license? This question is listed as a Florida criminal defense question. You need to hire an attorney to represent you in the criminal case.
    Natty Shafer Law
    Natty Shafer Law | Nathaniel Shafer
    Warrants can be issued for any number of actions, frequently without your knowledge. It is a good idea to hire an attorney and clear-up the issue of the warrant.
    Law Offices of Aaron T. Hicks
    Law Offices of Aaron T. Hicks | Aaron Hicks
    It is possible that the court did not send the abstract showing a warrant hold to DMV until after you already obtained the license.
    Law office of Robert D. Scott | Robert Scott
    You can obtain counsel and surrender on the warrant.
    Billy Stage, Attorney at Law
    Billy Stage, Attorney at Law | Billy Stage
    The answer is: it depends. From "SD license," I am assuming that you mean South Dakota. Many times states don't communicate, so one state may not know that you have a warrant in another state. Also, the warrants could be for misdemeanors or felonies. Misdemeanor warrants are not generally listed on NCIC, so other jurisdictions would have no knowledge of them. The felony warrants may not have been on NCIC or only been listed recently. Even though the offense occurred prior, the warrant may have only been recently obtained. There are many variables to consider and look at and the understanding that different parts of the government don't necessarily communicate effectively.
    Law Office of Richard Southard
    Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
    Deal with the warrant first and then worry about the warrant. It is not going away. No ethical attorney can assist a fugitive escape detection.