How could I find out if the landlord had insurance to cover our injury? 14 Answers as of May 08, 2015

How do we know if the landlord has the insurance to cover our injuries? A beam fell down when I was at the apartment where my friend lives.

Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
Landlords generally carry a liability policy. If you are injured you might want to ask an attorney to help you figure out about insurance and medical care . Good Luck.
Why not write the landlord with the details of what happened to you, and ask him, her, or it to forward your letter on to the insurer? Or just telephone and ask him/her/it? If that does not work, you run the risk, if you wish, of suing him and not knowing if he has an insurance policy but you might not have a choice. I hope your injuries were not severe. Good Luck.
Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
You should speak with a personal injury attorney. Good luck.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
I just answered a similar question, with collectability being the issue. Your landlord probably has insurance, but, if not, there are potentially different ways to fashion a resolution. How bad is the injury? If significant, it?s certainly worth discussing, to see what can be done.
There are 3 ways to find out; you could ask, you could have a lawyer send a letter, or you could sue. Not enough information to tell if you have a legally valid case, though.
    Law Offices of Robert Burns
    Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
    By asking or suing.
    Walpole Law | Robert J. Walpole
    In Oklahoma, you can only force someone to disclose insurance coverage after you file a lawsuit. My experience is that you will not be able settle this matter with the landlord for anything you actually want. As I have said many times, you should find a personal injury lawyer in your area to help you with this.
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    If you hired an attorney familiar with accident cases, the attorney can correspond with the landlord to see who the insurance carrier is. Landlords normally have insurance on their property, since lenders require proof of insurance, and if the property is paid off (i.e., no loan or lender) the landlord would want to have insurance to protect the landlord's assets.
    If the landlord won't tell you or won't turn your claim over to the insurance company, you probably won't know unless you get a lawyer. Good luck.
    Hire a lawyer, he/she will send a letter of representation to the landlord, who will refer it on to the insurance company.
    Hobbs Law Group
    Hobbs Law Group | Kristin E. Hobbs
    Prior to filing a lawsuit, they do not have to disclose any insurance information to you. Oftentimes there are advantages to them to advise you, such as settlement, but they do not have to. First you need to seek medical treatment. Then consider consulting with a personal injury attorney. Most of us offer free consultations and take cases on a contingency basis so there is no need to wait. Hopefully you have some pictures of the beam. If you go it yourself, send the landlord a letter that you are making a claim against them for injuries and you advise them to turn the letter over to their insurance company.