How could I find my parents Will? 11 Answers as of August 26, 2015

I was 10 years old when my father died, and I remember him telling me that he made a will.

He told me should anything happen to him (referring to his death), I should ask my god-father. He said that my god-father would take care of me in an event of his death. Now I will be 21 years old on the 19th of March 2016. Please help me recover his will. I don't have parents.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C.
O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C. | Sean P. O'Keefe
In Maryland, you may want to check the usual places for the original will such as his house, the Register of Wills, an attorney or law firm with which he may have worked, a bank safe deposit box, etc.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 8/26/2015
Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
Once a will is written the person is responsible for it. Wills are not placed in the courts once written. The only time the will is placed in the courts is when an estate is opened in the decedent's name. Ask your god-father for the info you are inquiring about.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/24/2015
Sebby Law Office
Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
Check with the probate court in the county in which your father lived at the time of his death. It may still have records of the settlement of your father's estate. Also, your godfather should have a copy of the will along with other documents that named him as your guardian.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 8/20/2015
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
If the will was offered for probate, go to the court where he died and index his name and then review the court file. If not, search his effects.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/19/2015
Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons
Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons | Patrica A Simmons
If your parents had a will and the will was probated, you can go to the Superior Court in the county where they resided. If probate proceedings were initiated, the original will would be in the court file. If there were no probate proceedings, unless you know the name of the attorney who drafted the will, you may not be able to locate their wills. You can always ask your god-father to see a copy of your father's will.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/19/2015
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    If there was a well and there were assets, then there would of had to been a probate estate opened in the county where your father resided when he died. Check the local probate court records to see whether or not an estate was opened in your father's name.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 8/19/2015
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
    If your father had a will it should have been filed with the clerk of the circuit court in his home county at the time of his death. You could search the public record in that county to see if a will was filed. You could also search the public record to see if a probate case was opened and how your father's assets were distributed after his death.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 8/19/2015
    Kokish & Goldmanis, P.C.
    Kokish & Goldmanis, P.C. | Bernard H. Greenberg
    You can visit the District Court clerk's office for the county your father was living in when he died to see if a probate estate was filed.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 8/19/2015
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
    If your father's will was submitted to the court for probate, you could go to the county courthouse in the county where he lived, and review the probate file. That would at least tell you what went on back in the day, and give you clues to follow regarding any amounts that should be held for your benefit, and by whom. If it was never submitted to probate, then I don't know what you could do. The will might be the basis for some lawsuit against somebody. I wouldn't wait until I was 21, though; if your father's will left money to you, but did not specifically allow the use of a UTMA account, you might have been entitled to the money when you turned 18. In other cases, too, an applicable statute of limitations might have started running when you turned 18. So don't delay.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 8/19/2015
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    Check to see if it was filed with the court to start probate.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 8/19/2015
    Goldsmith & Guymon
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
    Did you contact your godfather? I would start there. Next step if that is not helpful would be to contact the county clerk where your father lived to see if a Will has been lodged for either of your parents. This is opinion is solely based upon the facts presented in the inquiry. Additional facts may be important and may change the analysis. If you are uncertain, seek legal counsel.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 8/19/2015
Click to View More Answers: