How could I a file a divorce if my spouse is a fugitive? 10 Answers as of August 14, 2015

I have been separated for almost 2 years. My spouse is a fugitive and I want to file for divorce. How do I do this if I have no address or residence for him?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
You would have to request alternative service. Does anyone you know, know how to contact him? Or by using an email address? If all else fails, service by publication will get it done, although the most expensive alternate service there is; and is least likely to give him actual knowledge of the divorce.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/14/2015
The Law Office of Kimberly D. Moss
The Law Office of Kimberly D. Moss | Kimberly Moss
Contact a divorce attorney. You will need to ask the court for permission to have your husband served by alternative means if he cannot be found to be personally served. Once that is done an attorney ad litem may be assigned to do a diligent search for him. If he still cannot be found, you will be able to get what is known as a default divorce without your husband present.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/13/2015
Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
The problem is serving him. You will have to get an order for publication and have him served by publication in a newspaper of general circulation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/13/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
Your lawyer will know the procedure to serve him by publication if the process-server cannot serve him.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 8/13/2015
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
It can be done. You need an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/13/2015
Click to View More Answers: