How could I determine the market value of my home for a divorce? 15 Answers as of June 05, 2015

How do I determine the market value of my home for divorce purposes? My spouse and I are in disagreement about a fair price. We have struggled with our division of assets because neither of us has an attorney.

Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
You should get an appraisal. Then, if she doesn't like what the appraisal comes back as, she is always free to get her own, and then the Court would decide (or you could take the average of the two).
It is self evident that the battles that you reference would not have been an issue had you both had proper counsel. That being said, contact a qualified real estate appraiser to assist you on determining the value for community property division purposes.
Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
You can use a mutually agreed upon appraiser.
Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
You can get a rough idea on zillo.com. or you can hire a real estate appraiser to give you a formal valuation. Sometimes a real estate agent can give you a good idea of true value
Law Offices of Robert Burns
Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
It's patently irresponsible to divorce with real estate without the benefit of a lawyer, and I won't enable such misconduct. Regardless, you can utilize a realtor for this issue; the realtor should donate the assistance to get an edge on listing the sale should the property have to be placed on the market for sale.
    First things first: you need a lawyer. Your spouse probably does also. To get the fair market value of the house, hire an appraiser. (Check the yellow pages or online.) Nowadays expect to pay $300 to $400 for a professional job. Less certain is to use the assessed value of your home but it is done for a different purpose and will likely be less accurate. Good Luck.
    GordenLaw, LLC
    GordenLaw, LLC | Vanessa J. Gorden
    If you have real property, you really need to go through an attorney to make sure things are handled correctly and acceptable to the judge. If money is at issue, look for an attorney that will do a "limited representation" for a flat fee to draft your documents.
    Provda Law Firm
    Provda Law Firm | Bruce Provda
    You should get an attorney especially if you keep disagreeing. If you CAN agree on an independent appraiser this is how the valuation should be done.
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
    My suggestion is that you both choose an agreeable real estate broker/agent and ask for a ?Comparable Market Analysis?. You should then know the ?current market value' BUT that is not what you will receive if you sell your property. As you already may know, there will be costs of sale, such as real estate commission, title, closing, etc.. The monies to be divided would be the ?net proceeds? after the sale is concluded.
    Glenn Milgraum PC
    Glenn Milgraum PC | Glenn P. Milgraum
    A local real estate broker should be able to give you a CMA ("Certified Market Analysis"); however, an appraiser, for a fee, will be able to give you a more accurate evaluation of the property. Be careful using web sites like "Zillow.com", some of the values stated may be out of date for appraised value purposes.
    Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
    You can either get an appraisal or agree to set the price based on an average of several comparative market analyses. The latter will not be sufficient should you go to trial.
    Law Offices of Julie A. Ringquist | Julie A. Ringquist
    Hire one or two licensed appraisers, and have an agreement to go by that price, or the average of the two prices.
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    You can obtain a market analysis from a realtor. There is no charge for that type of appraisal.
    Ezim Law Firm | Dean Esposito
    You can have a real estate agent perform a market survey for an estimate or have an appraisal performed which is more costly.
    Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
    1. Look at Zillow.com2. Contact a Real Estate Broker, not a sales agent.?