How could I deny property inheritance? 16 Answers as of June 22, 2015

My mother recently passed away and left me a condo that I do not want. The condo is a slum and would take more to fix it up than it is worth. What do I need to do to clean up the ownership for the future? Who will take it? There is no money in the estate to even pay for the monthly assessment fees.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
You could file a document with the probate court stating that you do not want the property. Or, if there is a mortgage you could contact the lender and offer to give it a quit claim deed to the property in exchange for a few thousand dollars.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 6/22/2015
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
You do not have to take ownership of it but you should try to sell it contact a realtor.. you may get a few $$.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/19/2015
Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
Your mother's estate must be probated for you to receive the property in the first place (for it to be placed in your name). Since you do not wish to claim the property you easily allow either the bank or the condo to foreclose on the unit. The foreclosure would not count against you because the unit is in your mother's name.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/19/2015
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
You should be able to renounce the bequest and refuse to accept it. For this you might have to file a one page statement with the Register of Wills (probate clerk, in another state). You should contact the Register (Probate Clerk) of the county where the estate proceeding has been filed to see if they have such a form. Failing that, you might wish to contact an attorney to file a disclaimer for you.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 6/18/2015
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
If there is a loan against the property you could just let them foreclose. If not, you could let the HOA foreclose for delinquent dues. But are you sure it couldn?t be sold as is?
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/18/2015
    Sebby Law Office
    Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
    You can refuse to accept your inheritance of the condo. If your mother's will lists someone else as the recipient of the remainder of the estate, that person would inherit the condo. If none of your mother's heirs are willing to accept the condo, check with an estate attorney in the state in which the condo is located to determine how to dispose of it.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 6/18/2015
    Goldsmith & Guymon
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
    Were you left the property as a joint tenant or pursuant to a Will? These are issues you should address with an attorney. The short answer is probably, but depending upon the facts and circumstances, it may require some legal action. This is opinion is solely based upon the facts presented in the inquiry. Additional facts may be important and may change the analysis. If you are uncertain, seek legal counsel. We are not your attorneys. This answer is being offered to assist you in determining if you need to retain legal counsel to assist you, not to resolve your issue through an email inquiry.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 6/18/2015
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C.
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C. | Richard M. Levy
    You can refuse the bequest.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 6/18/2015
    O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C.
    O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C. | Sean P. O'Keefe
    In Maryland, one files a disclaimer stating one does not want [an interest in] the asset. People are not required to receive or inherit anything, and a disclaimer has the effect of passing the property as if the person disclaiming had predeceased the decedent.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland
    Replied: 6/18/2015
    Richard J. Keyes Attorney at Law | Richard J. Keyes
    You can disclaim your inheritance so that you do not get the condo. Please see an attorney for more details.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 6/18/2015
    Irsfeld, Irsfeld & Younger LLP | Norman H. Green
    Has probate administration commenced? If so, file a qualified disclaimer. If no probate has commenced, do not start one.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/18/2015
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
    If your mother passed away fewer than 9 months ago, and if you have not done anything about the ownership of the condo (haven't acted in any way as its owner) you could disclaim the gift. If you disclaim, the gift will pass as though you had died before your mother.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 6/18/2015
    Bruce Steiner Attorney at Law | Bruce Steiner
    You can disclaim (refuse to accept) the condo. You may do so within 9 months from your mother's death, if you haven't accepted it or any of the benefits of it. A lawyer can prepare the necessary papers and file them with the court. If you disclaim it, you can't say who gets it. It will pass as if you had died before your mother's death.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 6/18/2015
    Kokish & Goldmanis, P.C.
    Kokish & Goldmanis, P.C. | Bernard H. Greenberg
    If you don't want that property, then you can exercise what is called a disclaimer. Contact an attorney specializing in estate matters for assistance.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 6/18/2015
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
    With a timely filing you are able to disclaim an inheritance. The estate would transfer the property to another heir or if none accept the distribution the estate would remain responsible and eventually the property would be foreclosed upon by a lender or the condo association.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 6/18/2015
    Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
    You can disclaim the gift, then it's someone else's problem. Of course, that someone else is probably your brother or sister. If it's truly worthless, sell it as is for a buck.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 6/18/2015
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney