How could I deal with copywriting or trademarking? 5 Answers as of June 22, 2015

How can I find out if something has been copywritten or trademarked yet and how much will it cost to patent? In addition, how would I go about getting funding to develop and manufacture short of selling the idea or invention?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Webb IP Law Group
Webb IP Law Group | Jason P Webb
Start with a basic patent screening search. Plan on spending between about $400 - $2500 on that depending on the scope of the search and who you hire to do it. Initial funding usually comes from friends and family, unless you can afford to self-fund.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 6/22/2015
Microtechnology Law & Analysis | Daniel Flamm
Copyrights, trademarks, and patents are different things which generally protect distinct types of intellectual property. A trademark protects an identifying mark or phrase used in commerce, while a copyright protect an original work (of art, or writing, etc.) embedded in tangible media (a story, an architectural work, a song, and the like). A patent (utility patent) can protect a *useful* method or device. It sounds as though your idea is for a useful device or method- if so you are likely interested in a patent and what you are asking about is a patent search. Based on the manner of your question, and if you have reason to believe the invention would be valuable, I would recommend you get professional help from a patent attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/18/2015
Sebby Law Office
Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
Applications and registrations for patents and trademarks are available on the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office web site ( Trademarks can also be registered in a state's corporate office for protection in that particular state. Copyrights are registered with the U.S. Copyright Office in the Library of Congress. The costs to register are also available on those web sites. If you don't have the funding to develop your idea yourself, you can turn to family members and friends for financial support. There are also government and private programs in each state to support entrepreneurs and help them find funding.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 6/18/2015
Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
For a trademark you can check the trademark database
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/18/2015
Banner & Witcoff, Ltd. | Ernie Linek
A copyright protects works of authorship, such as writings, music, and works of art that have been tangibly expressed. Visit the US Copyright Office website - for more information. You can search for US Copyright information at the Copyright Clearance Center - This is NOT a government site. Federal Trademarks and US Patents are handled by the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). Visit the USPTO website - - for more information and to search for trademarks and patents. A trademark is a word, phrase, symbol, and/or design that identifies and distinguishes the source of the goods of one party from those of others. A service mark is a word, phrase, symbol, and/or design that identifies and distinguishes the source of a service rather than goods. The term "trademark" is often used to refer to both trademarks and service marks. A patent is a limited duration property right relating to an invention, granted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office in exchange for public disclosure of the invention. Costs to obtain a patent depend on many factors - the complexity of the invention, the amount of disclosure provided by the inventor, the extent of the prior art - to name but a few. Budget at least $10,000 to be safe. Funding comes from any sources available.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 6/18/2015
Click to View More Answers: