How could I clear up an old DUI and failure to appear from a different state? 5 Answers as of September 02, 2015

I really want to clear this and charge up and get my driver’s license here in the state were I now live. I have tried to talk to the courts directly but they never get back to me. The last attorney I talked to wanted a $1500 retainer up front. All I could do was half with payments on the rest. This was unacceptable to him. What I'm wondering is, is there anyone willing to take this on and help me clear it up? I would think the courts would want this settled also. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
While a court may welcome clearing up an old case, don't expect a brass band or a party. If you want a lawyer to represent you and that's a good idea you surely can find one who will agree to terms which you can manage. Even without a lawyer, you might be able to clear the matter by telephoning the prosecutor (have the case number or other identifying information at hand) and arranging a date to appear in court. Good Luck.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 9/2/2015
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
The courts will have it settled when you either turn yourself in, or are caught by the police. No attorney is placing you on a payment plan, because once you get out of jail, you will treat the balance of his/her money like you did old DUI (out of sight, out of mind). Your word is shit.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 9/2/2015
The Law Offices of Harold L. Wallin | Harold L. Wallin
You need to retain an attorney Who handles cases in the jurisdiction where the case occurred. It seems that you already know this, but just aren't willing to spend the money to retain an attorney to do this. There aren't any shortcuts.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 9/1/2015
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
The courts couldn't care less. They have thousands of outstanding warrants to deal with. You should hire a lawyer to go to court to recall the warrant. A lawyer can do this without you present if the underlying charge is a misdemeanor, so it is less risky for you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/1/2015
Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
You should reach out to the circuit public defenders office in the county where the charges are pending. You will have to qualify, but if you do they will appoint you an attorney. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 9/1/2015
Click to View More Answers:

Need more information on drunk driving law? Visit our free DUI resource page to learn more.

If you need immediate assistance, fill out a free case evaluation form to connect with a DUI lawyer in your area today!