How could an international student obtain residency in the US? 1 Answers as of April 23, 2015

I arrived in the US four years ago and recently finished my Bachelor Degree and I'm interested in how to become a resident here without getting married. I do want to continue to go to school but I do not wish to be sponsored because I want to start the process for becoming a resident. What should I do to get out of the student visa and be a permanent resident?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Unfortunately, the US does not have a system where you can just ask for residency and receive it like the other Western countries. However, we do have a system under which exceptional and extra ordinary individuals can apply for themselves to become resident in the United States because they have exceptional and extraordinary abilities that they can bring to bear to the United States. Right now, you may be interested in looking into the STEM programs with your schooling so that when the proper immigration reform is in place, you may be able to benefit from a possible provision that may allow the kind of immigration self-petitioning that you are interested in.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/23/2015
Click to View More Answers: