How can you sue for a car accident if the other person doesn't have insurance? 3 Answers as of August 27, 2012

We were in auto accident other person was at fault and has no insurance we are fighting with our insurance right now to pay which they should have to. If they do not, can we take the man to court and how do we get the money garnish wages, lean on house ect?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pivotal Law Group, PLLC
Pivotal Law Group, PLLC | Christopher L. Thayer
You should verify whether you have UM or UIM coverage under your own policy. This is separate from your PIP insurance. You certainly can sue the at-fault party, but if they have no insurance collection can be a challenge. You should consult with an experienced attorney in your area.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/27/2012
R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C.
R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C. | Robert Kelly
If you had Uninsured Motorist (UIM) coverage with your own insurance company, they may have a responsibility to reimburse you for your damages. If you obtain a judgment against an uninsured individual, collecting on the judgment can be an entirely different job.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/27/2012
Shaw Law Firm
Shaw Law Firm | Steven L. Shaw
You can, but it's much harder to get anything out of an uninsured person, because if they don't have insurance, it's more likely than not they don't have any cash or assets to go after, either. If your insurance company is giving you a hard time about covering the loss, contact an attorney with experience fighting insurance companies.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/27/2012
Click to View More Answers: