How can you clear up a charge that was dropped? 16 Answers as of June 19, 2014

My husband in 2004 was charged with child molestation. The charges were dropped. Even though they were dropped, the charge is still showing up. He feels unless we can clear this matter up, he is unable to leave his past where it belongs. What steps do we need to take care of this once and for all?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Elhart & Horvath, P.C.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C. | Mattias Johnson
Part of having the charges dropped should have been having the charge erased from your husband's record. This is a serious charge to have on his record so you should contact an experienced criminal defense attorney in your area and see if this matter cant be resolved once and for all.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/19/2014
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
I can help him get back his clean record.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 6/13/2014
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Retain an attorney, and get an expungement.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/13/2014
Joseph L. Turney, Pllc | Joseph L. Turney
Petition to expunge in the circuit court of the county where the charges were brought. Statute mandates that dismissed charges shall be expunged and record cleared of same. However, a conviction on this charge cannot be expunged.
Answer Applies to: Mississippi
Replied: 6/13/2014
The Law Office of Carlos H. Davalos
The Law Office of Carlos H. Davalos | Carlos H. Davalos
Contact a lawyer to help either seal or expunge the record.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 6/13/2014
    Shalvoy Law, LLC | Walter A. Shalvoy Jr.
    Go back to court and file a motion for dismissal
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 6/13/2014
    D. R. Phillips Law Firm, LLC
    D. R. Phillips Law Firm, LLC | Randy Phillips
    Alabama now has a method to expunge charges that were dropped or dismissed. The only ones that are precluded are those listed as a crime of violence. There are several requirements that must be met before filing before the Circuit Court in the county the charge was brought in.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 6/13/2014
    Law Office of Linda K. Frieder
    Law Office of Linda K. Frieder | Linda K. Frieder, Esq.
    You can clean his arrest record and his court case.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/13/2014
    Barton Barton & Plotkin
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    Sorry but this is not easy to clear up. Charges like this are a matter of public record. On the other hand, once the charges were dropped, your husband's official court files should have been sealed. The problem is that even when official files are sealed, private companies and others may still have copies of the records that were at one time available to the public. Your husband's best bet is to retain criminal defense counsel to work with him on this matter.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 6/13/2014
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney