How can you apply for citizenship by marriage if you came from a tourist visa and got married in the USA? 3 Answers as of October 21, 2014

My boyfriend came from Venezuela almost 6 months ago on a tourist visa (B1), and we got married last weekend, and his visa expires in 4 days. We still don't have the marriage license either. We have all the forms that we need. We are just wondering when we need to send them? Do we need to send them before his visa expires? Also, what else do we have to do?

Morales & O'Connor, PLLC
Morales & O'Connor, PLLC | Myron Morales
You should be sponsoring him for Lawful Permanent Residence first. Then 90 days before achieving three years of residency, he can apply for citizenship based on marriage to a U.S. citizen.
Coane and Associates
Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
Generally, there is no penalty when a foreigner marries a USA citizen, and the papers are filed after his I-94 or visa expired. of course, since it's such a complex matter, getting a qualified lawyer to assist you is highly recommended.
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law | Richard S. Kolomejec
You can file even after his visa expires. There is no penalty for the late filing. Please consult with an experienced immigration attorney.