How can we resolve this real estate tax situation? 9 Answers as of August 10, 2011

My step-father passed away about 4 years ago, leaving my mother with a real estate mess. When his parents passed away, he and his brother inherited their property. The brother never paid a dime toward the taxes, my mother and step-father did. When my step-father died, my mother continued to pay on the taxes for a couple years but has since stopped, being of the opinion that the brother should be the one responsible for them. She has no desire to have the property. How do we go about getting this out of her hands?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Burnham & Associates
Burnham & Associates | Stephanie K. Burnham
A lot of this depends on what you want to do with the property. Interesting enough, the property itself is obligated to pay the taxes. People who own the property pay the taxes because they want to keep the property, otherwise, tax sale will result in the property going to auction. You should check with an attorney to ensure your mothers interests are protected.
Answer Applies to: New Hampshire
Replied: 8/10/2011
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
Why do anything. If you do not care about the property let the county take it via a sheriff sale.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 8/7/2011
Mankus & Marchan, LTD
Mankus & Marchan, LTD | Tony Mankus
Based on the information you provided, you mother is not legally responsible for the real estate taxes on the property, your stepfather's brother is. If the real estate taxes are not paid, the property will be sold for taxes by the County. If they are not redeemed withing a certain time limit, title to the property will pass to the tax purchaser after notice and hearing.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 8/6/2011
Goldsmith & Guymon
Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
You do not provide any information on how the property is titled. Your mother should consult an attorney about her options. If the real property is located in Clark County you can access the titling data online.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/6/2011
Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC
Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC | Timothy G. Kearney
You need to consult with an experienced attorney to guide you through this process.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 8/6/2011
    David Hoines Law
    David Hoines Law | David Hoines
    have her sign a deed to you and you pay back taxes immediately, BUT CHECK TITLE IN CASE TAX DEED FROM COUNTY TO SOMEONE ELSE
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 8/6/2011
    Ashman Law Office
    Ashman Law Office | Glen Edward Ashman
    You see a lawyer. You post omits the facts needed to analyze things. What did the wills say? If there was no will, what happened in probate court?
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 8/6/2011
    The Schreiber Law Firm
    The Schreiber Law Firm | Jeffrey D. Schreiber
    If no one pays the taxes, it will eventually go to tax sale and title will pass at that time. I presume there is no equity or an agreement to sell the property.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/6/2011
Click to View More Answers: