How can we obtain my dad a card without him having to change his name legally? 11 Answers as of August 08, 2013

My dad has been using his name for as long as he could remember he is 79 years old. He got married under his name. He needed to obtain is birth certificate for whatever reason and when it was sent to him his name on his birth certificate was slightly different. He does not want to change his name to his birth name as he has worked and everything in SS and checking account is under the name he goes by now. We were trying to get him an ID card from Motor Vehicles and they said he would need to change his name. How can we obtain him a card without him having to change his name legally i.e. "as known as". My dad just found out his name on his birth certificate is not the same name he has been using.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Thomas C. Phipps | Thomas C Phipps
He has to use his legal name. If he doesn't want to file a petition in court to change his name, he will have to follow the rules of the drivers license bureau.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 8/8/2013
Christine Sabio Socrates Attorney at Law | Christine Socrates
He would need to change his name legally. This is done by an application to the court for a legal name change. I would recommend doing this to avoid any problems in the future so he is legally using the correct name and all of his records will match.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 8/8/2013
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
Check with someone higher up at DMV as what you were told is false I believe. I use a different name then my birth certificate and it has never caused any problems. Even Homeland Security does not care about my sometimes having an "s" at the end of my first name and sometimes not. You can use whatever name you want.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/8/2013
Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
More information is needed. What is the difference? People use lots of variations of their names. Depending on the needs, you may be able to get the documentation you need without a problem. What problems would it create to have the ID in the birth name? Assuming everyone else knows him by the name he has been using, will this make any practical difference?
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/8/2013
Law Office Of Victor Waid
Law Office Of Victor Waid | Victor Waid
Obtain the services of a family law attorney who can prepare a petition for an order changing or modifying his name.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/8/2013
    Goldsmith & Guymon
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
    He should legally change his name and file a fictitious firm name in the county he resides. You will avoid many more issues in the future. This information is only intended to give general information in response to an inquiry. It does not establish an attorney client relationship. This response is only based upon the limited facts presented and is merely intended to assist you in determining if you should contact an attorney to provide you with legal advice.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 8/8/2013
    Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons
    Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons | Patrica A Simmons
    Unfortunately, the DMV will not issue an ID card in a name that is not on the birth certificate.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/8/2013
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    He can have the court change his birthright name to the one he has always used.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 8/8/2013
    Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
    There is no way to get an identification card without the name changed legally. He can petition the court in family court for a name change; in a simple process. Of course there is probably a court charge, but that's the only way it will happen.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 8/8/2013
    Estrada Law P.C. | Michele Ungvarsky
    Gather his records with the name he prefers and request the state modify the birth certificate. You might also explore having his name legally changed in a court action, this is usually relatively inexpensive.
    Answer Applies to: New Mexico
    Replied: 8/8/2013
    James Law Group
    James Law Group | Christine James
    I would call a high official at the DMV and explain the situation. If his SSN and all other documentation is in the name he uses, he should be able to get an ID card in that name. Especially if he formerly had a driver's license or ID card in that name.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/8/2013
Click to View More Answers: